top of deck

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

greg mc

top of deck

Post by greg mc »

trying to find the best product to fill the 3/16 gape after planking the top would like it white and nice and smooth with the finish thanks if any one has any help thanks Greg

Dave Grason

Re: top of deck

Post by Dave Grason »

If you are willing to dig around on this forum, you can find a treasure trove of options but I can put them in a nutshell.

Bruce Dow used a recipe he got from some antique boat guys that wanted to restore their original boats to as close to original as possible. He and I were talking about this and, as I recall, I want to say it was made from linseed oil and .... darned if I can remember. Maybe Bruce will see this and chime in. The look has a certain imperfection to it and it shrinks over time. But this is exactly what the original methods did and so, the look is perfect for the guy that wants as close to a vintage look as possible.

Mark Bronkalla used thickened epoxy with a white tint to fill in the gaps. This is a very good method but does require the builder to first coat all the mahogany with epoxy to prevent the thickened/colored epoxy from staining, or otherwise bleeding into the mahogany.

Many builders have used alternate colors of mahogany with a much lighter colored wood for the contrast. The one builder that comes to mind right now is Chris Atwood on his Zip. He used African Mahogany and accented it with Maple.

I am going to do mine the same way only I will use Cypress instead of Maple.

WOW, NOW LET THE DISCUSSION BEGIN!! :lol:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

greg mc

Post by greg mc »

ok what would be the ratio of white filler to and I assume that two part expoxy that I got from glenlb

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I used 3M 4000 UV on the Torpedo. Whitened epoxy on the Zip. Both worked fine.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I'm with Roberta. 4000 UV.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jenko

Post by jenko »

I used epoxy thickened with talcum powder with white tint

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Epoxy does need to be thick. The 3m is easier to use.

Roberta

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod »

Gayle compiled deck and seam related info in this thread. Bruce's recipe is also included :

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com

Glen-L Boat Video Directory : http://www.kanecustomboats.com/pages/vi ... ctory.html

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

I used epoxy thickened with silica and microbaloons. Not saying it's right, or the best.....

greg mc

Post by greg mc »

Got one more ? can you clear over the 3m 4000 uv thanks? Greg

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

You can paint on it, but it is recommended that you test for compatibility and reaction. I did all the finish work before putting the 3m 4000 uv on. I used 2 part poly u for my top coat. Then the 3m was applied.

Roberta

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Same as Roberta.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 »

Roberta wrote:You can paint on it, but it is recommended that you test for compatibility and reaction. I did all the finish work before putting the 3m 4000 uv on. I used 2 part poly u for my top coat. Then the 3m was applied.

Roberta
How does this method hold up over time? How often do you anticipate having to redo it? Would also like to k ow how long you anticipate the two part poly to hold up before it needs to be refreshed and how you would do that with the caulk in the grooves.

I really like the idea of using this approach on my own build but it seems maintenance down the road could be challenging.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

My caulk is two years old and holding up great, as is the poly u. I don't expect to refresh for several more years. I think a cleaning and scuffing prior to recoating will be fine. I will recoat overall and maybe mask and paint white over the caulk. The poly u will outlast varnish.

Roberta

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Mines been on for 8 years. The poly looks great. If you do want to freshen the deck, you can get the 4000uv out. A light sanding and a coat of 2-part then re-caulk. Good to go!

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Small outboards”