Steve's TNT build.

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Cobalt

Steve's TNT build.

Post by Cobalt » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi All,

I'm having fun with my kids building this cool little boat. I've got a question about the chine log.

When the chine is sitting on frames one and two it's hitting the transom more than half an inch too low (towards the floor). I don't really know why. The keel is straight and level. Doesn't the chine need to be straight between the transom up through frame 2?

Where should I consider making an adjustment?

Thanks you. I really appreciate any help.

Steve
Attachments
IMG_7756.JPG
IMG_7755.JPG
IMG_7754.JPG

DSR

Re: Steve's TNT build.

Post by DSR » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:09 am

Hi Steve,

Your TNT is looking really good so far!
I looked through my TNT plans and it states that the keel is straight from the transom to frame 2 and the chines are straight from the transom 4' forward.
Looking at the pics, it looks like just the one side is out, or are both sides doing the same thing?

Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Cobalt

Post by Cobalt » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for responding. Yes, both sides are the same. If the chine is sitting in the notches of frames one and two it's hitting the transom a good half inch or more low. (Upside down of course).

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Steve

I think I'd just push it into place and clean it up at fairing.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BillW

Post by BillW » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:43 pm

This may not address the question exactly. But are the chine notches cut a little too deep?

By that I mean: too deep in the direction toward the floor. I can't tell, since I am not familiar with that design
where the keel and battens do not notch into the frames. Maybe I am wrong about that chine notch.

If they are too deep, glue shims into the notches, and that may fix the transom issue.

At this point in the building process, do everything possible to avoid a built-in "rocker" in the aft bottom,
no matter how slight it may be.

Bill

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:25 pm

to me,It looks like the side pieces on frame one are canted inward on bottom(top since upside down)moving notch outward on the top.Is the floor piece square with the side piece on frame one?Maybe its optical illusion,also notch for chine on transom does look a little big.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Cobalt

Post by Cobalt » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Thanks Bill and Bill,

Yes, the notches may be a little deep. Since this is my first build I don't really know but with the chine sitting in the notches it does seem like that is possible. It still won't change the angle of the chine if I do both frames 1 and 2 but maybe I can shim more on frame 1.

I understand that the line needs to be dead strait as to not create a rocker so all your advise and ideas are really appreciated.

This is a weekend where there might be a lot of just staring at it. Ha ha.

Cobalt

Post by Cobalt » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi chugalug,

I think it might be an optical illusion. The ends are level and I was really careful to align them as per the drawings.

I think I'll look at adjusting the notches in frames one and two with shims. At least in frame one.

DSR

Post by DSR » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi Steve.

From what I see in your third picture it looks like the chine notches are cut a little too deep. Looking at the plans, it looks like the inside edge of the chines should be the same "height" , or flush, with the bottom edes of the side frames. In the pic it looks like the inside edge of the chine is lower than the bottom of the side frame which would definitely cause the problem you're running into. You just need to shim the notches to bring the inside edges of the chines even with the frames and you should be good to go if I'm looking at the pics correctly......

Thanks
Dave

Cobalt

Post by Cobalt » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:23 am

Okay thanks Dave. I'm going to have a really close look at that today. Which sheet on the plans are you looking at to see how the chine relates to the frame in the way you're saying. I need to learn to understand that better. Is it the sheet with the "Building Form and sections" or the sheet with "TNT Construction"?

Thanks again guys.

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:26 am

I wouldn't get too excited if the chine notches are a little deep, since you can always clean this up when fairing everything. In our experience, we found that the frame patterns are very close to being "net," i.e., there's not much material left to fair off. Although our Zip has a deeper forefoot that the TNT, we found that some shimming was required between the bottom planking and the forward frame. I almost had the same problem with my Can-Yak build as well. Had we set the chines a little deeper, this might have been avoided. As for keeping the aft end of your TNT flat, just ensure that the keel batten is perfectly straight and everything will come together. Cut yourself a piece of scrap 1/4" ply, maybe 30" square, and use this as a guide when fairing. It'll all come together--trust me!

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

DSR

Post by DSR » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:55 pm

I was looking at sheet 3 "building form and sections".
If you look at the lower LH corner where frame 1 and 2 are shown, it shows the faired chines being solid to the bottom edes of the side frames, which is exactly what you want to fasten the bottom planking to.
With the frames being basically net dimensions like Mark said, I'm thinking the easiest way to fix this at the stage of the build you're at would be to shim the chines into the proper position. Doing so would also avoid some other issues you may run into further into the build....

Just my 2 cents....... :D

Thanks Steve
Dave

BillW

Post by BillW » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Steve,
You will do yourself a big favor, if you install those chines as close to perfect as you can at this point.

In your 3rd photo, the notches in the frames do look too deep. Maybe nearly a 1/2 inch ?
If so, that should fix the transom issue.
Bill

Cobalt

Post by Cobalt » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Got one side done. It just seemed to work out. Thanks for the advise guys.
Attachments
IMG_7767.JPG
IMG_7766.JPG

Cobalt

Post by Cobalt » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:30 pm

Got the second chine in today and all is looking well. Thanks again for input gentleman.
Attachments
IMG_7783.JPG

Return to “Small outboards”