Nicely done Steve!! :D
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Cobalt

Re: Steve's TNT build.

Post by Cobalt » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:02 pm

Hey guys,

I've got chines, sheer and battens all on place and ready to start fairing. It seems like the keel is perhaps not high enough. Does anybody know if this look normal? Do the battens need to be faired to create more of an angle on the keel? Any advise appreciated! Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_7934.JPG

Cobalt

Post by Cobalt » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:07 pm

More pics
Attachments
IMG_7937.JPG
IMG_7936.JPG
IMG_7935.JPG

Cobalt

Post by Cobalt » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:08 pm

3 more
Attachments
IMG_7940.JPG
IMG_7939.JPG
IMG_7937.JPG

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:15 pm

Steve

The battens don't stand proud of the frames on the boats that I have built. But, I haven't done the TNT. That said. I think, I would fair the battens down some first. If the keel is still low you can make it thicker.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:20 pm

:D unsure what your plans show,on my Bo-jest frames,the frame is notched out a little for battons.it looks like yours are not(from your pics)suggest glue on thin board on keel to form a flattened triangle to assist gluing on ply. :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

BillW

Post by BillW » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:40 pm

If the TNT is like most of the other boats, the frames have some curvature between keel and chine.
If so, that would explain why a straight yardstick does not lay across from keel to chine. Maybe no problem at all ?

But, if there really is a problem, could the battens be too thick, in relation to the keel ?
If you must adjust the batten, or keel thickness, with them installed on the boat, then be very careful to maintain an
absolutely straight bottom, fore and aft, in the rear half of the boat. Don't allow any "rocker", no matter how slight.

Bill

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi Steve,

Are there and cross section drawings on the plans? These may give you some clues on what to do here. Did you use all the same thickness wood for the battens and keel? Is this what was called out?

I would think that it would be easier to add some thickness to the one keel than to evenly plane down the four battens and two chines. If you try to plane down the just center two battens, you might change the V shape of the hull.

Whatever you do, make sure the hull structure is fair before starting to plank it, otherwise you will just be kicking the can down the road and it will be even harder to correct.

$0.02
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

DSR

Post by DSR » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi Steve.

The battens on the TNT do sit proud on the frames except for beveling frame 3 to allow the battens to curve with the contour of the bottom planking and have a solid surface to mount to and not on an edge, much like beveling the frame for the shear and chine.
The atwardship lines going across the bottom from chines to keel parallel with the frames are straight with no curvature that I can tell, so there should be material to fair the chines and also the keel to create a center line down the keel. Even though the TNT looks like a flat bottom hull at the transom there is still about 2° of deadrise so there should still be a small amount of material on the keel to fair and create that center line. As designed there shouldn't hardly be any material to take off the battens other than maybe some touching up.

So the issue you're running into could be caused by either the keel not being thick enough, keel mounting too low in relation to the battens, the battens are too thick, or mounted too high in relation to the keel. I suspect that with the issue you had with the chines earlier on, that the mounting for the keel to the frames is too low also.

Not a huge issue to fix that I can see. I would think that adding material to the keel to fair off should do the trick. What are the net dimensions of the keel and battens that you have on the boat now Steve?

Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Cobalt

Post by Cobalt » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:06 pm

Not a huge issue to fix that I can see. I would think that adding material to the keel to fair off should do the trick. What are the net dimensions of the keel and battens that you have on the boat now Steve?
Thanks all, thanks Dave.

The battens are 3/4 inch thick and the keel is 3/4 plus 1/4 inch plywood. I didn't measure the plywood so perhaps it's a hair thin. The boat is in my buddy's garage so I'll ask him to check. It makes sense to me that the keel might need just a little material laminated to it so we can get enough material to fair.

I really appreciate the help. Thanks everybody!

Steve

Cobalt

Post by Cobalt » Fri May 24, 2019 8:39 pm

Hey all, we finally finished this awesome little boat and it rides and behaves really nicely. I had some professional help finishing it from a friend who worked at a boat builder previously. He did something interesting. He removed the lower part of the frame and bonded in a composite floor that he said would be way stronger than the frames and get us more space in the boat. It worked like a charm.
20190308_124850.jpg
20190308_124306.jpg
20190124_171905.jpg

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sat May 25, 2019 5:43 am

Very nice.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

GavinJ

Post by GavinJ » Tue May 28, 2019 1:53 pm

Wow Steve. That looks just awesome. I love the color scheme and that finish looks incredible.

Got any more photo's you could share?

LSaupe

Post by LSaupe » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:57 am

Definetly a sharp looking boat. Yes, please post some more pics when able.

Return to “Small outboards”