Squirt questions

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Locutus

Squirt questions

Post by Locutus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:34 am

Okay so I'm considering the Squirt for a future project, maybe as a gift for my son's college graduation (He just graduated from high school, so I have some time.) I have a few questions for you Squirt builders:

The specs listed on this website show a cockpit width of only 36" inches. I would think you'd need at least 48 inches for two adults. Have you found it too cramped for two adults or merely cozy?

This website says outboards up to 10 HP. (I've seen builds with up to 25 HP with hull modifications on this website, and even one with a jet ski adaptation.) For those of you who stuck with the stock 10 HP limit, how is performance with two adults in the cockpit? How is acceleration and handling, and what is your top end speed? And did you build the 10 FT or 11 FT version?

Finally, what was the total cost of your project, including trailer (if you don't mind me asking)? I'd like to have a realistic idea for budgeting.

All relevant responses sincerely appreciated.

Hercdrvr

Re: Squirt questions

Post by Hercdrvr » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Cost not including engine about 3-5K depending how nice you finish it out.

Cockpit is tight but comfortable. Build the 11ft version. My boat is 10ft 6inches

My Power is a new 20 hp, top speed 29 mph solo, 26mph with 2 men.
My advice on power is 15-25hp

Trailer, bought used for $200, spent another $300 making it work. New bearings, tires, bunks, lights etc...
Good luck,
Matt B
Attachments
IMG_1251.PNG
My mom and me tucked in the Squirt

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:24 pm

We are boat builders, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated...

I'm 5' 10" and about 200lbs., and I'm not giving you my wife's specs because I like living, it will be cozy in the cockpit but not cramped. I don't remember where I heard this but the human form needs 18" to move, so 36" is theoretically enough for two adults (but they should be close friends). I think this will be more of a father and son/daughter kind of boat. I had plans to put the throttle controls inside next to the seat, but quickly realized why so many Squirt builders put the levers on the deck next to the cockpit.

If you have the building space, stretch the boat to 11'. It will give you more room fore/aft if you are taller, and I don't think anyone has complained that the boat is too big! I'm building in the basement, and mine is 10' 10" to make sure I can get it out when the time comes.

BayouBengal (Jeff) had a vintage Johnson 15hp on his, and complained that with two adults it was tough to get on plane. He's told me that his paint job wasn't the smoothest on the bottom, so how good you finish it can make a difference. With two smaller kids, 10hp should be fine. I've got a Vintage Johnson 18hp that will go on mine. HercDrvr (Matt) has a 20hp 4 stroke and claims very good fuel economy and was able to keep up with the big boys at the Gatherings (28mph at full throttle). My motor cost $400 and if it works out, I'll put in a few hundred dollars to restore it. I haven't really looked at new motors. You do want to consider the motor weight. General consensus is less than 100lbs, but I have heard of ~120lbs with no problems. I did look at jet ski power for the cool factor, but was concerned about durability.

Cost depends some what on the basic building materials and a lot on how you want to finish it. Are you sitting down? When I started this project last year, I added up what I know I would need and came out at $1600 on the low end and $1900 on the high end. This would be for a bare hull. I used Sapele (~$7/bdft) for the framing (highly recommend for cost, weight, ease of working it, ability to bend for sheer and chine, pretty, etc...) and Okoume plywood ($90/ 1/4" sheet, $200/ 3/4" sheet). My initial wood order was ~$1000.00, and I've spend another $200 to $300 on additional wood. I have a planer, and bought all rough sawn wood and finished it myself. I still need to drop another $200+ for the deck. Add $100 for fasteners, $300 for fiberglass/epoxy, $200 for paint (1qt primer, 3 quarts of paint/clear). The Glen L site say 1 qt. kit of Poxy-Grip (I've gone through 2 kits), and I'm on my second 1 1/2 gallon of encapsulating epoxy. So, I think I'm pretty close to these targets.

Now let me tell you about fittings and hardware. $140 for steering, $50 for a nice steering wheel, $60 in control cables, Stainless steel cleats are $10 to $30 a piece, I've got $100 in hardware on the hatch, $50 in lights, $100 in wiring, etc... Please keep in mine I'm doing a bright finish with shinny fittings. I thought about buying used on ebay and craigslist, but those guys are smoking something funny, and buying new I don't have to polish them! Then there are the $30 trips to big orange for rollers, tape, misc screws, gloves (I'm up to 300 of those).

I'm not trying to scare you, just make you aware that things do add up. The good things is that this is a long term project and you can spread the cost over many months/years (and hide it from the wife easier). I can't imagine the bill for some of these inboards that are being built (but I hope to find out someday). I haven't added up everything yet, but I think it will be north of $3000 by the time it hits the water. Honestly I don't really want to know what it costs, it's been a very fun and rewarding hobby. Jeff also posted a break down of his Squirt costs here, search it up if you really want to be scared, he went really nuts!

For the trailer, I have a sailboat and the Squirt will fit on the trailer if I need to move it. I think a used PWC trailer can be had for ~$500.

I hope this helps.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

BillW

Post by BillW » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Yes, the Squirt is a bit cozy. My wife and I have room for a small lunch cooler on the floor between us, and that's about all there is room for.
I have a full size marine battery just ahead of the foreword frame, and that seriously affects the leg room, and space for "stuff". But the
battery has to be there for CG reasons. We have an 18 foot boat that we used to think was small.... but now it's the "big one".

This Squirt was lengthened 15 inches, to about 11ft , 3 inches. Of course that has no affect on the width, but a couple inches more length
in the cockpit helps a lot.

I did keep track of the cost, and it's better to not know. But in my case it was spread over several years, so it is not really noticed. I may choke
when typing this, but it's about $7000. However, that includes an extensive re-build of a vintage motor, and a new trailer that is larger than necessary.

Bill
DSCN5533 (2).JPG

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:28 pm

For the record, At last years gathering I came into Chattanooga about 10 minutes behind all the bigger boats. Couldn't quite keep up.

Another option to consider if you have the build space is build a single cockpit Flying Saucer for the extra beam. The cost increase would be minimal, mostly the cost of a bigger engine.

There may come a time during your Squirt build when you say, " "we're gonna need a bigger boat"

Feel free to completely ignore my comments,
Matt B

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:54 am

Thanks everyone for your kind and detailed replies. Just what I was looking for. I'll look into the flying saucer too, as Hercdrvr suggested.

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:05 am

I was just looking through the outboards section of the plans...The Flying Saucer looks like a good step up but the Zip looks more like the elder sister to the Squirt to me. The asthetics and hull shape seem very similar, just larger, and it can take a larger motor. But I wonder about the cost and time to build a Zip vs. a Flying Saucer.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:19 am

How do you intend to use your boat? The group can help you choose the best plans.

Matt B

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:35 am

Hercdrvr wrote:How do you intend to use your boat? The group can help you choose the best plans.

Matt B
To be built as a father/son project (Son will soon be 19 y.o.). Use would be as runabout on Lake Washington or Lake Sammamish mostly. These are fairly large lakes in the Seattle area. On a busy summer day there would be plenty of other boats' wakes confusing the waters. That's why I'm not considering anything smaller, or one of the low-profile or hydroplane designs.

Return to “Small outboards”