Finishing Zip Hull

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

JasonQ

Finishing Zip Hull

Postby JasonQ » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:15 pm

Hello,

I am getting close to finishing my planking and had a few questions moving forward. If all goes well with my last two planks I plan on having a bright side finish. The order I think things need to happen is:
1. Fill and sand all screw holes with wood filler and/or thickened epoxy.
2. Rough sand the entire hull
3. Apply 2-3 coats of epoxy shield
4. Use silica, microspheres, and epoxy to smooth the bottom of the boat
5. Fiberglass hull
6. Attach skeg
7. Fiberglass skeg
8. Paint bottom of boat below the waterline.
9. Flip boat

Does this plan sound reasonable? Is there any steps I am forgetting and is my order correct.

As always your help is much appreciated!

Thank you
Jason
Attachments
IMG_2989.JPG

Cabron

Re: Finishing Zip Hull

Postby Cabron » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:41 pm

Sounds like a good plan.

I would use fairing compound to fill the holes and fair the bottom though.It`s easy to apply and sand.
After that you can start with the glass. I would put the glass down dry and then epoxy it.

Have fun. Looks good

JasonQ

Postby JasonQ » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Thanks Cabron!

So the glass should be put on dry before any epoxy shield?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Jadon

I use that dry method. Use lots of resin on the first coat to make sure the glass is saturated. Particularly if you are going bright. Others don't agree.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:16 pm

Another idea for the screw holes I like to use is Famowood filler. The mahogany color is a pretty darn close match to the color the hull will be when epoxied and fiberglassed.

I am one of those that likes to put on a coat of epoxy before fiberglass. I think it makes means you can focus on just saturating the fiberglass with epoxy and not have the wood soak it up. If you are going bright I like to use a non-blushing epoxy. It does make a difference.

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:57 pm

I'll just second what vupilot said. That is how I did my hull, based on his suggestion.

I put at least 1 coat of epoxy on the entire hull, let it cure, then sanded it lightly. After cleaning it off, I laid down the fiberglass cloth and saturated it with more epoxy. It's essentially the same thing as the dry method... you're just applying the fiberglass & epoxy onto an encapsulated surface, rather than just bare wood. In my view, it's one more layer of moisture protection.
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

JasonQ

Postby JasonQ » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Thanks Bill! Do you have any suggestions for applying epoxy and fiberglass here in the hot and humid southeast?

JasonQ

Postby JasonQ » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:11 pm

I think I would feel better putting an encapsulation coat on first. I did get some famowood to fill screw holes, but I was thinking about using fairing compound for everything below the water line. I figure it will provide more moisture protection for any hull penetrations and it is going to be painted anyways. Above the waterline I will use famowood for sure.

How many coat of epoxy shield would y'all suggest prior to fiberglass? And what grit should I sand the hull prior to applying fiberglass?

I have not bought my fiberglassing materials yet. I was planning on buying them from glen l. Which kit would you recommend? Is it worth buying the more expensive one or is the standard one fine? I live in Alabama and I am worried about it being too hot and humid here.

Thank you
Jason

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:18 pm

I would get the System Three kit. One or two coats is all you should need before fiberglass. For fiberglassing in hot weather use slow hardener, keep the epoxy inside the a/c until you are ready to use it and have multiple people to help. Have several cups of resin ready to add hardener and have one person mix the epoxy and a couple people spreading the epoxy. I like to use plastic spreaders on horizontal surfaces and then go over it with a foam roller to even it out. On vertical surfaces I use the roller first (and to keep it from snagging the fiberglass just roll away from you and not back and forth until the fiberglass is saturated or it can pull up the fiberglass) then the spreader and sometimes even a chip brush. Have them all on hand and you will figure out the method you like pretty quickly. Watch a few youtube videos of the process too.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:16 am

Jason

Use the System 3. It's non-blush. Humidity is a part of blushing. Like Chris said keep the resin and hardener in an air condition area. Out in the shop you might even set the jugs in a bucket up ice water. Work lots of small batches. After mixing, pour into a big shallow container. In a mixing cup the heat of reaction can really build fast.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Misers

Postby Misers » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:09 am

That sounds good to me Jason, how's it looking now?

JasonQ

Postby JasonQ » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:58 am

Misers,

It is coming on along pretty good. I have the entire hull fiberglassed. I will probably attach my skeg tonight and hopefully by next weekend I will be painting. It is hard to get a better picture because of my paint tent I am working in but below is a few pictures from last night.
Attachments
IMG_3210.JPG
IMG_3209.JPG
IMG_3208.JPG

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:11 am

Jason

Looks great! Let us know when you're ready to flip. Maybe, some of us can come help.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

JasonQ

Postby JasonQ » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:55 pm

Thank you!

Hey, Bill I may have to take you up on that.

Tonight I installed the skeg. I still need to get fiberglass on it. I found some areas on the sides that I am not happy with, so I need to do some more sanding then another coat of epoxy. Hopefully this will be my last coat before I can start on bottom paint. Too many good football games on tomorrow, so I hopefully I can find some time to work on the boat before next weekend when my paint and primer arrive.
Attachments
IMG_3212.JPG

Return to “Small outboards”