zip chine fitment

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Cribbsy

zip chine fitment

Post by Cribbsy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:34 am

Hello Gurus, I'm in the process of test fitting the chines on my Zip and thought I would get your opinion on how its sitting in frame 5 1/2. Its following the top side of the frame well but having a bit of trouble visualising how it should sit on the bottom edge (bot of pic) in relation to how it will be faired. It looks fairly close to how some of the build pics on here look. The chine is bending around nicely so far in one lamination. I think I will steam the section between 5 1/2 and the stem to get the twist in. Am I looking for approx 9 inches from the bot of the breasthook to the centre of the chine on the stem? Any help much appreciated .

Cheers, Greg
Attachments
zip.JPG

vupilot

Re: zip chine fitment

Post by vupilot » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:16 am

Thats actually a pretty good fit. Just needs a little more uniform fit top to bottom. Its plenty deep at the one end and not quite deep enough at the other. If you can it 1/8" deeper with a chisel and kickout the the other end just a tiny bit with some epoxy that would make your fairing easiest. Then basically the forward edge of frame 5-1/2 gets faired

Cribbsy

Post by Cribbsy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks for the help Vupilot, so the edge closest to the keel needs to come down into the notch further? Love your Zip too mate.

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi Cribsy,

Yes, you want the notch such (deep enough) that you can fair the frame to match the sheer and chine.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Cribbsy

Post by Cribbsy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:26 am

Thanks for the help Jimmy. For some reason I thought that if I sunk it completely flush in the notch then I wouldn't have enough meat in the middle of the chine to meet the bottom plank. It seemed a lot of the pictures I came across that the bottom edge of the chine had been left proud of the frame quite a bit.

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:23 am

Hi Cribbsy,

I took a closer look at a Zip build, and the chine on the Zip at that frame is a bit different than the Squirt. It looks like you will want the chine to sit proud of the frame at this point. The chine will be faired to match the frame side and bottom with a corner in the middle of the chine. So, you will have to make sure there is "enough meat" in the middle of the chine.

Check out the photo at the end of this thread, and it should clear things up: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=30847

Sorry for the confusion.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Return to “Small outboards”