Squirt vs Bingo

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Two8nine

Re: Squirt vs Bingo

Postby Two8nine » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:01 pm

BayouBengal:

Appreciate the response, just want to clarify question 2:

What I meant was, in the process of twisting the chine, do I aim for it's position to be 'flat' against the eventually faired shear, or twist it further yet so that the plywood will arc over the two rather than lie totally flat. Or is there another method to twisting the chine that I'm not getting? I'm having a tough time visualizing exactly how much to twist it along with the bend.

PeterG:

I'll have to go over the plans again to see where I went wrong. Mine is level, as are the frames, but something isn't lining up. Might be frame 1 is a little thicker than it should be. (Though it matches the plans ok.) Cut it out with a scrollsaw with broken guide, really need to find a deal on a bandsaw.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi,

Just to confuse you more...

1.) The keel needs to be straight from the transom to frame 1. It may or may not be "level" fore aft in this area. The keel at the stem is sloping down to the bow, so the keel between frame 1 and 2 will have a slight bow to it. I needed to shim up frame 1 a little to get the keel straight. I also needed to adjust the angle of the transom, since I had glued the knee in place.

2.) I found it easier to install the sheers first, and then use a bar clamp against the sheer to twist the chine laminations. If you can achieve this, you will have little to fair on the sides. When fairing, the plywood should lay flat on the chine, sheer, and keel.

20161108_192508.jpg

3.) Can't help you on the epoxy, only to say that I used more than twice the recommended amount to finish my boat. I think the Glen L recommendations are enough to get you to the flip. So if you do order some, buy more than you think you need.

My $0.02

P.S. The "book" should clear up a lot of this too.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:21 pm

I'll cede to Jimmy on points 1 and 2. I'm an old man without a good memory and it was 9 years ago that I was building my Squirt. All these things are fresh in Jimmy's mind, so go with his advice over mine.

Return to “Small outboards”