Flying Saucer

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

String88

Flying Saucer

Postby String88 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Hello I'm new enthusiast that has the big dream of building a wooden boat. I intend to get the flying saucer plans very soon and begin building. Joshua Burks inspired me with his zip build videos on youtube that I ran across one day, so I've decided to take the plunge. Any and all advice from experienced builders will be welcome. I love the look of the flying saucer, and I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. I think starting with a smaller(ish) boat will be a good start. I will be on this forum often I'm sure. I've already seen a wealth of information that other research has not given.

I'm building in central Arkansas, so any lumber supplier info would be helpful as well.

DSR

Re: Flying Saucer

Postby DSR » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:28 am

Hi String88,

Welcome to the forum! I'm fairly new here myself and I definitely agree that this is by far the best forum that I've been involved in for building a boat, do to both the wealth of knowledge and more importantly, the quality people here.
The forum has a directory of suppliers that will hopefully be of help for you and the FS is a very nice design to start the fun! :D

Thanks
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:55 am

String88

Welcome! White oak for the frame should be easy to find in Arkansas. White oak is a little heavy. You don't have that much structure in the FS. The difference in weight isn't that much. Marine plywood is often the problem. I'm in Alabama and I had to order from Ohio.

Best with your build.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

String88

Postby String88 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:53 am

I've tried contacting some of the suppliers listed on the website, but so far no luck finding mahogany for the hull here in central Arkansas. I'll expand my search to the surround states. I'm sure with enough research I'll find the materials I need.

Thanks for the info guys.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:31 am

I too order my marine plywood shipped to the house. Homestead Hardwoods in Vickery Ohio, just got a shipment of 27 sheets of 3mm Okume yesterday.

If you go with Douglas Fir ply you can probably find it locally.

I agree with Bill about using White Oak for frames, chine, sheer, keel , etc....very strong.

How do you intend to use your Boat? How many people?
Flying Saucer would be a great 1st boat, If I had my 1st build to do over again, I would build a single cockpit, 2 seat FS. The Squirt I built is a bit tight for two. From my perspective, a FS is not a 4 person boat.

Opinions of an amateur,

Matt B
Attachments
IMG_2951.JPG
27 sheets of 3mm plywood delivered

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:47 am

One more thing, just so you know, the difference between building a 12ft Flying Saucer and say a 17ft Geronimo or Malahini is minimal. They are identical construction methods. If you have the build space I don't want you to feel like you have to start small. Engine requirement would be the biggest cost increase.

First thing I said when the Squirt was complete was, "I'm gonna build a bigger boat"

Opinion of an untrained amateur

Matt B
Attachments
IMG_2920.JPG
Squirt next to a Malahini comparison

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:33 pm

Glad to see you here, the flying saucer is a great choice, looking forward to following your build.
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:54 am

String88 wrote: I love the look of the flying saucer, and I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. I think starting with a smaller(ish) boat will be a good start.

You're definitely not biting off more than you can chew. Trust me, you can build this boat.

While there are some benefits to building a smaller, "test" boat first... by the time you are finished, you'll realize that you could have just as easily built any larger boat you may have wanted. What I'm saying is, I'd recommend building the Flying Saucer if the Flying Saucer is the boat you want. If you think you'd rather have, say, a Malahini... (which is a superior 4-person or "family" boat than either the FS or the Zip), then by all means, start with the Malahini (or whichever design).

That being said, I find both the Flying Saucer and the Zip to be very attractive designs. They are very similar, but not identical. There's a little more to it than the FS simply being a shorter version of the Zip. The FS, in my opinion, has some intriguing differences that make it a very attractive option for a 2-3 person boat.

So, welcome aboard! I'm looking forward to following your project, just like everyone else here.
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

String88

Postby String88 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:42 pm

One of the main reasons I'm thinking about doing the flying saucer is because of the design but also cost to build as well as cost of operating. I don't want to build a large inboard and not be able to enjoy and afford the upkeep. I think an outboard would be the better option for me. Space to build isn't an issue as I have a 24x24 garage to build in and my wife has graciously given up her spot during the next year or two. At the moment no kids are in the picture but hope so in the future, so a single cockpit will be what I do.

Thanks to everyone for the input. And I will keep posting as I go.

String88

Postby String88 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:31 pm

So today I had a "flip out" moment...well several in a row actually. The plans came in for the FS and I got my first look at a set of boat plans in my hands. Wow. I must admit for a minute I was a bit overwhelmed, but I'm assuming this happens to a lot of people. I've relaxed now and I'm ready to get started ordering materials and carefully cutting out my frames.

Here we go! We've officially begun the Flying Saucer! I'm super excited about this project.
Attachments
IMG_0732.JPG

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:27 pm

Awesome! The plans and materials list and instructions have all the info required to build your boat, but can be intimidating at first if you're not familiar with working to plans. Always know you can ask questions, read everything you can about boat building, post lots of pictures when you can and most of all have fun!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:37 pm

Yep, I flipped out too when I got my first set of plans. Thought there was no way I could do it, I kept digging around for more instruction and saying, "this is all of it?"
Step#1, do something easy, like make the breasthook and remember....don't cut your frames in 1/2.
Have fun,
Matt B

String88

Postby String88 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:53 am

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I'll keep posting pictures as I go.

String88

Postby String88 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:45 am

Update:

I got the plans transferred to some 1/4 fir ply. My plan is to cut out the shapes and use them for templates for the frames. I've also decided to do lap joints as well as use double gussets at each joint for added strength. The lap joints will make it easier to connect the pieces as well as add tremendous strength to my frames.

Next is to get the epoxy and fastener kit off of the website and get my lumber. I am still undecided on the kind of lumber to use for the frames. I'll work that out soon. Oak seems to be a good option but I'm concerned about the weight.

As always advice is welcome. Thanks for following my slow progress.
Attachments
IMG_0760.JPG
IMG_0759.JPG

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:51 am

I used Ash for my frames

Return to “Small outboards”