Long Island Sound Boating...

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Pts87

Long Island Sound Boating...

Postby Pts87 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:26 pm

I am wondering if the Squirt or Flying Saucer is appropriate on the North Shore of Long Island - in the Long Island Sound... I understand as I read most of your posts that these boats are used in lakes, as it says on the website "protected waters" but I am not sure how the Long Island Sound fares with that... I already ordered plans but I don't want to not be able to use it once I commit to 1-2 years of build time...

Any thoughts?

vupilot

Re: Long Island Sound Boating...

Postby vupilot » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:21 pm

We have a member here on the forum that built a stretched Flying Saucer and uses it in the Long Island sound. He has a lot of videos on youtube of boating in the area. https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperUnknownMC/videos

Seems like as long as you arent out there on windy days that it can be calm and enjoyable much of the time.

Go for the flying saucer youll like the extra size and it will barely cost any more.

PeterG

Re: Long Island Sound Boating...

Postby PeterG » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:05 pm

I live on the Sound in CT and have seen some rather rough water near the Thames River at New London and in the Clinton area on some mildly breezy days. If you pick your days well and stay in waters sheltered by shorline, islands and in harbors/bays like Greenport, it should be okay though I would recommend a bigger, vee hulled boat for elsewhere. Heck, I see jet skis running like commuter cars on the Sound. I was once out on a 27' Sea Ray that bounced and bucked on the open water but once in the lee of a small island it was much more calm.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Return to “Small outboards”