Tuffy Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Evan

Tuffy Build

Postby Evan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Started today.

I got the plans in the spring, I was hoping to start a little sooner but things came up and I have less $$$ than I think I do.

Picked up some supplies between then and now, they sure don't give that 3/4 marine plywood away!

Managed to get some 14+ foot ash so no worry about joints, I had thought about going with oak but at 1.25 a BF ash wins.

Today I cut the gussets put and got the lumber ready for the wider pieces of the first 2 frames. It will take a day or so for the glue up as I apparently do not have enough clamps.

Not much time in but it was a start.

JimmY

Re: Tuffy Build

Postby JimmY » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:44 pm

Sounds like a good start.

Now, repeat as necessary. :D

Not sure what's available in Canada, but I picked up an arm load of $0.99 spring clamps at home depot. They've been handy to have around.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:47 am

Harbor Freight has slide clamps for $3.00 US that are perfect for this type of work. You can buy 10 of them at a time for a little over 30 dollars.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:02 am

I'll really look forward to following your build. The Tuffy is not a boat that has been built by many forum users; but I don't understand why. It's got great lines and is a nice medium size boat that would be very useful and fun.

I myself believe that I'm retired from any future power boat building (never say never). However, if I were to build another I think the Tuffy would be it because of a combination of liking the way the boat looks and happening to have in my possession a gold 1957 Johnson Javelin outboard that would be a perfect match for it. But for the time being, I'll just have to be happy living vicariously through your build.

Be sure and post lots of pictures!

Evan

Postby Evan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:37 pm

Not sure why there are not many, I think it is a good looking boat.

We don't have harbour freight but Canadian Tire has some good sales on clamps here and there. I might have to take a run to a Home Depot to get wood for the form anyway, the places near me keep theirs outside.

I still have to get proper nails/screws, I hope to order those next week, that will give me time to glue these parts together and hopefully draw the layout.

Hopefully I can put something decent together.

Evan

Postby Evan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:40 pm

I got the first frame drawn out and cut out the side pieces, they fit into the drawing so I guess that is a good sign.

I don't have my fasteners yet, hopefully by the time I get them I will have the other frame pieces close to ready so it will just be a matter of drawing them out to put them together.
Attachments
20170818.jpg

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:19 am

It's always exciting cutting them first pieces of wood and seeing the frames in real size. Looks like you're off to a great start!

FarmBoat

Postby FarmBoat » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:47 pm

Greetings All. I saw where someone said they didn't see many Tuffy's being built and had to reply.

I started two years ago, cut out all the hull pieces, fine tuned them and left the project upstairs in the garage. I meant to get back to it, but what got me back now is the story about the guy that took 17 years building a Lamborghini in his basement that I read. That's all it took. Retiring from the Army National Guard this year left a little more free time in my schedule too.

Anyway...here's where I'm at with no plans on slowing down. However, winter is coming; have to love Maine. I do have a monitor to get me through the outer plywood stage coming up. There's a temporary transom in the picture. Need to grab another sheet of ply soon.

Permanently attaching the stem as I speak...gotta run.

Later,
Jay
Attachments
Jays_Tuffy.jpg
So far...to go

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:03 am

Welcome back to building, Jay! Looks like you're off to a good start.

Evan

Postby Evan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:39 am

I am happy to see another one, especially one that is ahead of me.

I ended up getting my fasteners and got a frame put together, I was happy with the way it turned out. Unfortunately after that I came down with Lyme Disease so I have not been doing anything (at all) for a number of days now.

Hopefully I will get a bit of time in but hunting season is coming up which wont be ideal for boat building.

Evan

Postby Evan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:59 pm

Seems I am poor about documenting. I don't have much time in, most of it is cutting a piece or two as I have a minute.

The form is built, frames are attached to it, one and two are level as they are supposed to be.

The transom and stem are cut out, I clamped the stem in place, it seems to line up.

The keel is there but I still have to laminate the piece of ply to it, the plans say 1 1/4. After the board was cleaned up I am just under an inch.

So far things seem to be going ok, I guess it could be building to realizing a big mistake.

I did break off the first one of those bronze screws, after that I started driving a screw of the same size prior.
Attachments
DSC_0004.jpg

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:48 pm

Looks like you're making good progress. Keep it up.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Return to “Small outboards”