Flying Saucer: Helm in forward or aft cockpit?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

WillieNC

Flying Saucer: Helm in forward or aft cockpit?

Postby WillieNC » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:27 am

Hello: We are building a Flying Saucer, using the plans that show two cockpits. We have decided on a 20 hp 4-stroke outboard with electric start and remote steering.

Here's the question: What are the pros and cons of placing the steering in the forward vs. the aft cockpit?

I am concerned that placing the steering aft will make the boat really mushy and tough to get onto plane with only the skipper in there. Wouldn't the fore-and-aft balance be better if the helm were placed in the forward cockpit?

I would appreciate comments, especially from those who have run this boat with an aft cockpit helm.

Thanks....
WillieNC

Pullie

Re: Flying Saucer: Helm in forward or aft cockpit?

Postby Pullie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:55 am

I have build a 14' FS with a single open cockpit,

I have a 20HP 4 stroke e-start tohatsu outboard on it. I had to place the fuel tank and the battery way forward to keep the bow somewhat in the water.

I would place the helm in the front.

The boat runs around 45km/h with 400lbs of passangers and coolers etc.

WillieNC

Postby WillieNC » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:43 pm

Pullie:
Thanks for your comments. Wow!- that really is fast in a boat that small and that close to the water.

I am part of a team doing this build for the museum's charity raffle; if it were up to just me I would have already decided for sure to put the helm forward. I think that is the way the thinking is drifting- your comments may help push us to the final choice.

I and a couple of other guys spent the last two days fairing the keelson, chine logs, stem and transom prior to putting on the bottom and topside. So, it is still upside down, attached to the strongback. We have a bit of time prior to putting the boat upright when the motor and everything have to be decided.

Will post episodic comments on here describing progress and decisions.

Willie

craigvansickle

Postby craigvansickle » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:40 am

I'll second what Pullie said above regarding the control placement. Here is the layout of my FS. 25hp Mercury 2 stroke with a CMC tilt unit. Fuel tank is located by the front passengers feet, battery in the rear. I have a 6" planing extension on the transom and a fin on the outboard. It balances nicely in the water with two adults up front. It does well with a third adult in the rear. Four adults puts it at the most aft loading I would be comfortable both at rest in the water and getting on step. The 10% stretch allowed by Glen-L would be advisable for using the FS with this type of weight loading. 33+mph is max I've been able to get with one person, but I've never tried a steeper prop.

WillieNC

Postby WillieNC » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:15 pm

We completed the flying saucer. Now a raffle boat supporting the North Carolina Maritime Museum.

Return to “Small outboards”