Squirt in Manitoba

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Two8nine

Re: Squirt in Manitoba

Post by Two8nine »

JimmY, thanks.

I will be doing butt blocks -- I'd originally intended to join the pieces ahead of time as I did with the sides, but figured it would be easier to work around the battens if I did it after. Given that there's no bend in the area, I've half a mind to wait until I've flipped before putting them in, but haven't decided.

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

I think you will want that joint to be pretty stable for fiberglassing before the flip. Right now you can get a clamp in there and epoxy them in place. Then the rear plywood will just lay right on top of the blocks.

My $0.02
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Evan

Post by Evan »

Looks good.

I think it would be easier to do the butt block where it is, you will be able to do all the fitting standing up.

In one area I did not have a clamp that would work so I just screwed it in place while holding it. You could use bolts or a block behind the inside piece for the screws to bite into if that is an issue.

Two8nine

Post by Two8nine »

Been forever, epoxy won't cure in my unheated garage -- and we all know how much fun spring and summer has been.
Got the rest of the planking on, and enough thickened epoxy all over to fix the worst of my sloppy fitment.

I've got it mostly smoothed out, but didn't want to overdo it as the sander eats the fir so unevenly. Got the worst of it, then coated with two coats of west system epoxy.

Waiting on the fibreglass now, and then that adventure begins.
Attachments
20200701_210016.jpg
20200701_205924.jpg
20200701_205842.jpg

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Looking good!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Two8nine

Post by Two8nine »

Got the first piece of fiberglass on.

The process of laying it out and wetting was much easier than I anticipated.

Unfortunately was late in the day so I set an alarm to go out and trim the excess off once the glue was tacky, but it failed to go off.

Managed to remove most of it anyway, but was impossible in a few areas, so will be a bit of extra sanding I think.

Uses a lot of glue -- going to get expensive, but I guess that comes with the territory, just glad it's not bigger.
Attachments
20200707_195453.jpg
20200707_191305.jpg

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

Whatever happens, don't get upset while you're glassing and start cussing and being naughty as it looks like Santa Claus is watching you pretty closely :lol:

Two8nine

Post by Two8nine »

I don't know about that but so far I have neither pouted nor cried.

Return to “Small outboards”