The time has come...

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Andy Garrett

The time has come...

Postby Andy Garrett » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:40 pm

In early July, I pulled my boat from Kansas to Idaho where we now live. During the very complex move, it sat outside under a cover for 3 months in the mostly dry Idaho climate. It was an uncommonly hot summer.
Now that the Zip is in the garage, I notice some wear an tear on the top deck. The bright work under the Ironsides clear coat catalyzed paint and Poxy Coat epoxy is starting to separate at a few spots. The areas with opaque paint are fine. Now, it's VERY minor, but it'll be getting worse if left unchecked.

This would have been the fourth season on the water if we'd had time to GET on the water. :( I'm wondering if it's time to sand and redo the deck.

My deck has always just been 5mm Hydrotek with epoxy and paint. I'm entertaining solid field boards, raised cover boards, and full-on bright work stem to stern. Or, I could go the other way and repaint with a new scheme and no exposed wood. I DO NOT want to refinish wood every 24 months so, so my sense of practicality and irreverence toward the boat lead me to go with paint, but my artistic side wants to try the bright work if I can get a clear finish that lasts for several years. What I had, wasn't it.

I welcome your ideas.

To quote Sallie Field in Absence of Malice, "Why have a wooden boat? You spend all your time fixing it up".
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

chugalug

Re: The time has come...

Postby chugalug » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:04 pm

:roll: maybe a faux finish would work or are you a purist? try it on scrap first.I might try it on "Chug" however it will have to be on a panel screwed over existing paint.purely decorative.Or you could start varnishing like the ol'Chris-Crafts.I think all boats that are used,need some kind of repair from year to year.The resort boats(aluminum)need repair each year:rivets leak and bracing needs tightening again.The sun can be brutal on wood.rough water tends to stress areas on boats.putting boats on trailers and launching too.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:56 am

I would touch up your boat with the paint and then move on to
building another one. Your Zip looks finished to me.

Every once in a while I think about putting those nice Mahogany cover boards
on mine, but then think, well how long is that going to take and cost ? Stripping
the top surface of everything I`ve done seems a bit pointless when I could put
that time into another build. It just might be a can of worms for me at this point.

My ZIP looks great as it is Andy and your does too.

The cover boards sure look nice though......Hmmmm

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Thanks guys.

I think I might paint the bright worked areas and see how that looks.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:26 pm

:D try it on a scrap piece first. also water-based Zip-Strip will take off varnish or paint.wouldn't touch the epoxy shield I used. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Return to “Small outboards”