Pee Wee in Maine

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Mark-NJ

Re: Pee Wee in Maine

Post by Mark-NJ » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:11 pm

Do you ever go to work? Sleep? Eat?

Seems to me you're boatbuilding 24/7......and I like it!

Post by 283 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:56 am

Mark-NJ wrote:Do you ever go to work? Sleep? Eat?

Seems to me you're boatbuilding 24/7......and I like it!
Just trying to get a little done each night and a few hours each weekend...had a few snow days home too which helps. And that we gave up tv :wink:
Mike

Post by 283 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:17 am

Well I think Mark jinxed me as progress has slowed to a crawl :roll:

Part of it was I couldn’t decide how to finish the top deck/cockpit edges. Of course having to wait two days to sand every time I mixed epoxy doesn’t help...Didn’t want any plywood edges showing. Thought about doing a crash pad but didn’t know if I could have done it small enough to match the diminutive size of the pee wee. If that make sense :lol:. Thought about doing a raised board or something but didn’t like that.

Finally settled on treating it the same as the outside edges. But couldn’t just use a router with an edge guide on the inside corners and maintain an even reveal... thought about making a template. But decided that with the ‘refined lumber yard’ level of finish I’m going for it was appropriate to get as close as I could with edge guide and free hand/carve the corners.

Used thickened epoxy to fill between the top deck and dash to have a smooth transition
So much for the stain on the dash
The paint I’m using. What I had..but one of the best/toughest easiest to use paints available. IMHO (Single part anyways) We will see if it holds up on a boat
One coat (still wet)
Mike

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:47 pm

Looks great, still moving along at a good pace, you hit that part of the project that slows everyone down a bit with detail work and figuring out the next step.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Long overdue for an update!!!

Post by 283 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:31 pm

Mark-NJ wrote:Long overdue for an update!!!
Haven’t done too much more. :oops:

We started looking for a lake house and got focused on that. Spent weekends driving around looking instead of working on the boat. But we found the ‘one’ and will hopefully close by the middle of May.
Mike

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:19 pm

Priorities! Hmm, house on a lake, boat on a lake... water's a bit too solid just now for using the boat... tough decisions... :lol:

Post by 283 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 pm

Well might have jinxed myself.

Disclosure said the leach field and septic tank were in good working order.

But the holding tank and leach field is a foot below the ground water level. And the line going to the tank from the house was replaced with PVC but the connection leaves a little to be desired.

Mike

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:23 pm

Had to have a whole new system put in at our last house. It was the original system from 1952. Not a fun thing to have to spend money on.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Where is this house? Are you staying on Androscoggin?

Post by 283 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:07 am

This is on Lake St. George. If we end up buying it we probably won’t be on Androscoggin this year... have to get everything settled by May 1 when our seasonal lot fee is due for the campground.

We will ask the sellers today to make a price concession to pay for a replacement septic and see what happens. It really bugs us that they knew the leachfield was failed and didn’t disclose that info. Enough that we are willing to walk away from the purchase.

We can always spend another year on Androscoggin lake.. we really like it there but are ready to have our own place that we can use year round.
Mike

billy c

Post by billy c » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:52 am

Went thru the exact same thing with our cottage. Except they didn't even know what they had for a system :shock:
Turns out it was a pipe in the ground to nowhere! Good thing is once it is discovered by you they have to disclose it properly going forward to prospective buyers. Puts you in the drivers seat for a concession towards a new leachfield.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:12 am

Consider if there is room for a new field. You can't just put a new one on top of the old one, at least not right away.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:13 am

One thing to consider about the septic system in Maine is that when you replace one near a lake there are extra requirements to protect the lake. You'll need to have the system engineered for your particular lot and location. The cottage two doors over from us on Mousam Lake had burned two summers ago, it was replaced with a year-round home per the town requirements which meant new well and new septic. I watched the installation which was very interesting. The lot is tight and sloped, the holding tank was located next to the foundation near a rear corner of their cottage and the leach field is next to that, under their parking area!

Post by 283 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:31 am

We had a soils guy take a look. Good news is there is plenty of room for a replacement leach field since we would own the back lot as well. Bad news is the soil conditions are poor.

Basically because there is an existing system that has failed it can be replcaed with a non conforming design $$$$. Though it would be far enough from the water that it’s out of the shore land zoning; so that helps a little. If the property had not already been developed it would not be able to built on with today’s septic system codes.

However, even though there is plenty of room to make this a year round property one day we would not be able to because the replacement system would only be permitted for seasonal use. :(

We’ve asked the sellers for some price concessions and to have a septic design done... they won’t be able to sell to anyone else without doing at least that much. So we will wait and see.
Last edited by 283 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Return to “Small outboards”