Squirt in Alabama

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Re: Squirt in Alabama

Postby micahjl » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:25 am

Yeah, being able to laminate the chines/sheers makes me feel more comfortable with the scarf joints.

What angle scarf did you wind up with? I assume with laminating it's less of a deal since the joints would be staggered. I plan on trying for 65 degrees if I can rig my saw properly. Don't have the patience to use a hand plane.

Thanks for the input.

Postby hoodman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:52 am

I made a little sled for my saw that rides in the miter slot. I'm not sure what the ratio is. Probably somewhere between 1/8 or 1/10. No matter what method you use you'll probably need to tune it up with a hand plane. Also, make sure to factor in the extra length you'll need to actually make the scarf joint. It's going to eat 8 or ten inches of each piece you are joining together. So if you need a 13-foot sheer you actually need maybe 15 feet of material to scarf together. Carefully examine the grain especially in the part of the sheer that's going to take a lot of bend. I had a problem with a broken sheer early on.

Postby Jimbob » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:57 am

I made all of my scarf joints with a router. Sorry but I don't remember the ratio. You can find ratios in glen l's books. I made a jig for the router to ride on, plunging down making shallow cuts. I was able to cut wide boards or thin ones at the same time. I cut scarfs on wider boards and then ripped them down to the proper width. It worked great with no touching up later.

I also made a jig for gluing up the scarfed battens. It was designed to keep the boards in alignment and provided pressure while the epoxy dried. I also put in a couple of plastic brads to hold in place before I clamped. I can measure my jig for the ratio when I get home. I went with a longer scarf for more strength.
Here's the jig. I later added bolts on the sides to clamp the piece in place.
Got a piece of plastic to mount the router on. It rode on the scarfing jig rails.
Here's the glue up with the glue up jigs. I was able to glue up 4 battens at a time on each jig.
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA

Postby Evan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:45 pm

Great idea with the router.

I used a sled that had on the table saw. I marked the correct line on the boards to cut and used the sled to hold them in position and ran them through.

Postby Hercdrvr » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:57 pm

I’m the hillbilly carpenter, I just mark the scarf line and cut it with a circular saw on both sides to get all the way through.. If the two cuts don’t line up perfectly I hit with a belt sander.
Matt B

Postby JasonQ » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:50 pm

I cut my scarf joints 12” for every inch of thickness. I tried several different methods; however, the bandsaw was by far the easiest. Then clean it up with alittle sanding.

Return to “Small outboards”