Squirt in Alabama

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

micahjl

Re: Squirt in Alabama

Postby micahjl » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:08 pm

After using the bandsaw I'm glad I went that route. The combination of bandsaw/jigsaw made quick work of the frames. Definitely worth the $130. My frames, however, aren't nearly as clean as Jimmys. I have a long way to go as a novice woodworker. If I did it again I would have gotten a bench sander instead of a spindle sander. The bandsaw/spindle sander made it difficult to get the lines straight.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but when checking the pattens and my frames, the batten and keel notches seem too deep. Do I really have to fair THAT much off the frames? I assumed when battens showed 1" they mean 3/4 finished, which leaves a lot of space on the frame.

Should I shim the notches or would I fair the frames? I can already tell I'll need a gallon of thickened epoxy, my cuts need some work.
Attachments
IMG_2601.JPG

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:21 pm

Looking at your picture, I think your frames notches are cut about the right depth if you use 4/4 lumber yielding 7/8” thick keel and battens. I prefer to leave my keel and battens a little proud of the frames, exspecially up front in deeper V section. You might have to fair off some frame material on yours, no big deal.
Matt B
Attachments
1A4B0AC5-359E-426D-A2C6-56B4D53D87F6.jpeg

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:36 pm

Cut your notches t match the wood you plan to use for the battens and keel.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

micahjl

Postby micahjl » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:55 pm

Frame #1 was nearly complete. Gussets epoxied, nails driven in the right side.... and this happened. Now I have to redo the entire frame. It didn't even happen at the nail line. I have no idea.

At least the house didn't burn down.
Attachments
IMG_0060.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:23 pm

Micah

I think the grain in that piece should be running the other way, perpendicular.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

micahjl

Postby micahjl » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:54 pm

Thanks Bill. Expensive mistake. Should have paid more attention to grain pattern than getting the most from my materials.

Postby 283 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:33 am

micahjl wrote:Thanks Bill. Expensive mistake. Should have paid more attention to grain pattern than getting the most from my materials.

On the bright side it’s better it broke now then later :wink:
Mike

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:32 pm

Don't worry you can use the scraps for something else! Watch for the grain. It matters more on boats than most projects.

micahjl

Postby micahjl » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:05 pm

Frames are nearly complete and 2nd coat of Totalboat 5:1 epoxy down for encapsulation. Really made the colors of the wood pop. Definitely going for a mostly bright finish after seeing the Okoume. Going to wait to encapsulate the transom. I have a feeling it won't be too difficult once it's flipped. I hate working with epoxy.

I fear I took out 1/8th inch more than necessary when angling the transom, so the notches need to be deepened a bit. Going to wait till it's mounted so I can use a multi tool to cut the 12 degree angle into the notches as well, hopefully this will work out fairly well.

I also noticed a slight twist in frame #1, so when it's time to put in the sheers I'll have to rig something to keep it straight/true. African mahogany does tend to warp slightly when cutting along the grain.

Slow going and the amazon boxes are piling up. Wife suspicion growing.

-M
Attachments
IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_6938.JPG

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:33 am

Looks good. I wouldn’t sweat the little errors in your frames and transom, if something needs to be adjusted later it will be obvious. Heck, you’re going to attack all the framing with a 36 grit paper belt sander(or whatever your favorite fairing tool is) to shape it.
Keep us posted,
Matt B
Squirt, Malahini and 1/2 a Barrelback

micahjl

Postby micahjl » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:31 pm

After mounting the frames, I had just enough mahogany left over for the keel and maybe some of the small finishing pieces later down the road. The more it looks like a boat the more excited I get. I used a Ryobi multitool to angle and deepen the notches on the transom (this tool is awesome.. rarely needed but when it is, it works).

As with other Squirt builders, I ran into the issue with the Keel being too far bent toward the stem. I ended up sanding some of the stem/frame#2 so the keel would lay somewhat flush, although I did try and leave as much bend as possible per the plans.

Matt B's encouragement was greatly appreciated - it seems there will be less fairing for the frame than I anticipated. Glad I cut the notches before mounting. I can tell there are a lot of small mistakes, but the plans are great and so far very forgiving.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any 12ft mahogany and didn't want to make the 4hr trek to mobile again. So I got some 8ft and am going to work on a chop saw jig to cut scarf joints for the chines and sheers.
Attachments
IMG_0142.jpeg
IMG_0141.jpeg
IMG_0143.jpeg

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:39 pm

Looks great!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:45 pm

Hey, your frames and keel look good, well done. I scarfed my chines and sheers too.
I also laminated 2 pieces to make the chine and sheer, it greatly reduces the swearing when trying to bend, twist and screw the chine on the stem and the sheer to the breasthook.
I see Yamaha has a new lightweight 25hp, never too early to think about the power.
Thanks for posting, very fun to watch another Squirt coming together.
Matt B
Attachments
704E996F-4AAE-48C0-87C6-1C2C2ECC4C9B.jpeg
Squirt has a high giggle factor
AAAF8915-545F-4075-BE2B-000CB3812FD9.jpeg
D6E31244-F5E9-4FA5-8EBE-A689F48A2A63.jpeg

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:49 pm

Looking good! It's a lot of fun to stare at when you get to this stage.

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:59 am

Hercdrvr wrote: I scarfed my chines and sheers too.
I also laminated 2 pieces to make the chine and sheer, it greatly reduces the swearing when trying to bend, twist and screw the chine on the stem and the sheer to the breasthook.

I'll probably scarf the chines and sheers on the Zip, also. I am also planning on laminating these, as Matt mentioned. It will make the bends easier, and I believe the end result will be stronger, too.
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Return to “Small outboards”