Squirt Finish Line

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

largej

Squirt Finish Line

Postby largej » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:22 pm

Folks,
I am at the point where I need to decide how to fill in the seams on my deck. Mahogany perimeter boards with 1-3/4 white oak strip field. Seams are about 1/4 inch. I have read a lot of the posts on the forum and still can not decide. I am actually very nervous since this is kinda the make/break point of building project. I am looking at either the white caulking route or epoxy with micro balloons. Caulking route got good reviews from several folks here but the epoxy looks like it is the standard/preferred method. Deck is sealed with epoxy and ready for the seams to be filled - then I plan on several coats of spar varnish.

Any feedback on either method would be appreciated.
Thanks - Jim

JimmY

Re: Squirt Finish Line

Postby JimmY » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi Jim,

I wanted a smooth deck, so I went with epoxy and microballoons. This allowed me overfill the seams and sand them even with the deck. I just completed my Squirt back in September, so I can't say it will hold up over time.

The epoxy mix was pretty straight forward to apply once the deck was taped off.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Steve S

Postby Steve S » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:23 am

Hi Jim,

I filled the seams with epoxy and microbaloons, also. But I added some white pigment to the mix.
The seams are holding up great and I have hit some hard waves with my Squirt.
How about a picture Jim? ?☺

Steve S
Squirt build

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:26 am

Wow there are more of us than I thought, I also used microballoons and epoxy to fill the seams on my zip, I too wanted the flush deck look plus I plan on top coating with Automotive clear coat and my thought was this would produce a more permanent seam, however I have yet to launch my zip so I cannot speak as to how it will hold up over time
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

largej

Postby largej » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks guys for the info - very helpful. I am going to go with epoxy and microballoons. Looking at using a blank caulking tubes for application.One question/concern: I have several coats of epoxy on the cover boards and oak strips to seal and build-up a good base for the final varnish.
Do you think I should do a final deck sanding - to pre-varnish quality - before appling the epoxy in the seams? Or just wait because I will be sanding everything after the epoxy sets. Also, is there any chance I will get bleeding from the deck into the epoxy seams when I start to sand the epoxy? I am going with a flat/smooth finsh before I varnish. I am using painters tape to protect the deck while I apply epoxy. Here is where I am at so far:
Thanks for the feedback in advance.
IMG_3116.JPG

Jim

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:41 pm

Hi Jim,

You will probably need to sand down the micoballoons even with the deck, so I would wait to sand the deck until it is all flat. This will help prevent sanding through the epoxy on the deck. As long as you are using the same epoxy for the deck and microballoons, you shouldn't have to worry about bleed through. I would get the deck flat, and add a coat or two of epoxy to seal the caulk lines, sand, and varnish.

Make sure your varnish is compatible with the epoxy. Some here have used Epiphanes and it doesn't set up over epoxy.

Your Squirt looks great, the caulk lines will really bring that deck to life.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:51 pm

Great job!

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:24 pm

Great job, your boat looks really sharp! I agree with JimmY about final sanding after filling the seams, you'll get a smooth deck for varnishing.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:18 am

Looks like another beautiful Squirt will be on the water soon. Very nice work! :D

gap998

Postby gap998 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:56 pm

JIm,

Check out Josh's Youtube series - He has quite an in-depth explanation of the processes he tried on his deck before settling on the best method.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Return to “Small outboards”