I tried to use a hand saw once....

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

joejapan

I tried to use a hand saw once....

Post by joejapan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:56 pm

"About 70 years ago", back in elementary school, I memorized fractions and forgot them as soon as I passed the test. To this day I don't know fractions and can't tell 1/5th from 1/8, from 1/3rd , etc. To make things worse, I never did any woodworking of any kind, as I never needed to. Now, being forceably retired, I find that in my idle days I have this "wild a_ _" daydream of actually building myself a skiff. I suppose I could always use the Metric System to measure but I have no experience and there are no woodworking classes near me. The wife says to go find an old used aluminum jon boat and make that do. She won't get into a skiff less than 14 feet and is scared "**** less" of turning over and falling in the water.

Realistically, do you think I could learn to build the Power Skiff 14 or something I could use with a 10 hp outboard. If so, what is your best advice.
Thanks, in advance, for taking the time and for any consideration.

Roberta

Re: I tried to use a hand saw once....

Post by Roberta » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:41 pm

Welcome aboard. Lots of help and encouragement to be found here, not to mention inspiration. Buy the plan of your dreams and jump in.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:31 pm

joejapan wrote:Realistically, do you think I could learn to build the Power Skiff 14 or something I could use with a 10 hp outboard. If so, what is your best advice.
Thanks, in advance, for taking the time and for any consideration.
Damn right you can!

Step 1 is going to be to give yourself more credit than this. Of course you can learn to build a Power Skiff14... or anything else on this website, for that matter.

I had this same wild-ass daydream about building a boat. I also once lived under a crippling degree of self-doubt, in addition to zero knowledge about boats, and even less woodworking knowledge or experience. The short story is, I built the damn boat. I also learned to believe in myself and trust my own judgement in the process. I love the little boat. She may not be a showpiece, but she's solidly made and a LOT of fun to use. If I can build a boat, ANYBODY can.

The question isn't whether or not you could learn to do it. The answer to that is a resounding "YES."

The REAL question is this: Are you willing to see the project through to completion, once you've started it? That has nothing to do with talent, knowledge, or experience. That is a matter of determination. Are you willing to see it through once you start? Only you can answer that one.

You'll make mistakes. Count on it. We ALL have. Are you willing to adapt as you go, and work your way through them?

It will take longer than you think. Are you willing to accept that, and keep working — one step at a time — until it's done? It's not a race. It's not a contest. There's no time limit. How long does it take to build a boat? Until you finish.

There are a lot of wonderful people on this forum who will be happy to answer your questions and share their experience and knowledge to help you.

So, what is my best advice?

Know that you CAN build a boat. If you are willing to work your way through the ups and downs of a lengthy project, and adapt and learn along the way... then pick out the boat you WANT and get started on it. As Glen states in the book, "It's a process". You complete one step, then work on another.

Have you read "Boatbuilding With Plywood"? If not, you should get a copy and read it. That would be a superb place to start.

Welcome aboard.
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Joe

What Michael said! Yes, you can!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:37 pm

I remember when I got my 1st boat plans from Glen L, I kept looking in the tube for more instructions. I thought, surely this isn’t all of it. 14 months later with much guidance from friends on the forum I had a Squirt.
Building a boat is a wonderful journey, a Confucius kind of journey and the only way to experience it is to build it. Welcome to the forum young shipwright.

Matt B

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:41 pm

You can do it! Many of is had little to no woodworking experience when we started our boats.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

joejapan

Post by joejapan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:05 am

Thanks for the encouragement guys.....even though I can't imagine being able to build a boat like y'all did, I think I'll get one or two books first, continue looking at plans and then go "whole hog" and order the lumber for whatever I decide to build. Besides, what else does an old man have to do but try, neh ? At the worst I'll lose patience and I can still use the lumber for something else, maybe even firewood. Thanks again !

Post by 283 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:04 pm

“Boatbuilding with plywood” is definitely worth the read. A lot of the same info can be found on this site but it’s nice to have a book to sit down and read sometimes.

http://www.glen-l.com/boatbuilding-methods/

FWIW I think it may be advantageous to go with a stitch and glue plan for someone that doesn’t have a shop full of tools. You don’t need much more then a jig saw, cordless drill and a few hand tools if you are happy with a painted finish. (And plenty of sand paper) :wink:
Mike

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi Joe,
If you have the will, you can do it. Looking at the whole boat can be overwhelming. It was for me. What I found is the the building of a boat is broken down in to different processes. Just get one thing done and then move on to the next. Along the way, you will acquire skills and confidence from the previous task, that you will apply to the next. I always think ahead of what the next process will be. It gives me something to look forward to, and gives me time to work out how I will do it. I have asked questions many times from people to get their ideas and suggestions before that next step.
Have fun!
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

micahjl

Post by micahjl » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:09 am

Absolutely. As a beginning woodworker myself I've realized glen-l plans are fairly forgiving. You got this!

One thing I may suggest - find a small, cheap project to learn basic tools. (hand planes, sanders, circular saw, jig saw, etc). I started by building tables and being comfortable with the tools is a huge win.

People have been building boats with hand saws for 100's of years, so with a bit of patience and persistence it can certainly be done.

joejapan

Post by joejapan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:19 am

Thanks, guys, for all the encouragement; I think I'm gonna' need it. looking at the boat photos in the signatures, I "gotta' lotta' work to do!"

Anyway, I read Boatbuilding with Plywood, which gave me a measure of insight, so, having lots of time to read, I've ordered a bunch of used books: 1) A Complete Handbook of Wooden Boat Construction by Howard Chapelle, 2)Boatbuilding for Beginners(and beyond) by Jim Michalak, 3) Ultrasimple Boat Building: 17 Plywood Boats Anyone Can Build by Gavin Atkin, 4) Build the New Instant Boats by "Dynamite" Payson (plus the Instant Boatbuilding book) and, finally, #5) 10 Wooden boats You Can Build by Peter Spectre. Hopefully these books will help me decide which boat to build, which process I should use, and how to get started doing it. At present, since I love skiffs and small outboards, I'm leaning toward a lightweight, simple stitch and glue plywood, skiff like the Power Skiff 12 . Having said that, the wife thinks I should go with a larger, sturdier boat that can be both powered and sailed too. Guess we'll see.

I'm also "window shopping" for basic tools. I have a couple of the Japanese pull saws I used to cut limbs but no power tools...yet. I read a joke that a guy had a nightmare that, when he died, his wife sold his tools for what he SAID he paid for them. Having a Japanese wife, that would be like trying to sneak daylight past a rooster !

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:31 pm

I think there's a tool list in Boatbuilding with Plywood that's pretty good. The basic tool list is a really good start. One tool not to cheap out on is a decent saber or jig saw. Old hand tools like planes and hand saws can be bought on Ebay and easily restored. Harbor Freight has a surprisingly good set of chisels, the 6 piece set with wood handles. You'll want a decent cordless drill/driver or a set with a drill and impact driver.

Things to build to get you started might be a pair of sawhorses and a good sturdy workbench.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Small outboards”