a couple questions about sissy do plans

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

DonaldH

a couple questions about sissy do plans

Post by DonaldH » Wed May 09, 2018 7:40 am

hello everyone, i have 2 questions i need to get answered before i can get started on my build, on the sissy do plans plans it says to cut the stem ( i have decided to cut the stem first ) out of 3/4'' plywood, i emailed glen l and they said i have to glue them together, what kind of glue should i use/not use.

my next question is how do i get the lines on the plywood? i baught the building the 8 ball SG and it shows you in that video to use something to nick the wood to show you where to cut, can this be applied to the sissy do plans?

i read everything glen l sent me but im still lost on these 2 things.

thanks in advance for any help i get.

neel thompson

Re: a couple questions about sissy do plans

Post by neel thompson » Wed May 09, 2018 8:47 am

Donald.... Most use thickened epoxy resin to glue parts together. Glen-L sells it. You can coat everything to encapsulate before you thicken it to glue parts together. As for how to get the lines on the plywood,,, you do that with a large sheet of carbon paper between the full size plan pattern and the plywood and trace it out. Glen-L also has the carbon paper. The answers to many questions you will have can be found here on the forum by initiating a search. There are also some books available through Glen-L that would be helpful for your first build. Best of luck to you... Neel

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed May 09, 2018 12:34 pm

I would recommend buying Glen's book "Boatbuilding with Plywood." It's well worth it and will fill in most if not all of the blanks left by the plans and instructions. Not to say that we are above answering the basic questions but that you will usually be able to find an answer in the book much faster than waiting for a response from us.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Wed May 09, 2018 3:44 pm

The carbon paper works fine but you can also use a punch with your plans over the plywood to make little dents in the wood every inch or so then remove the plans and connect the dots with a pencil then cut. Glen-L Poxy "Grip" is pre-thickened and ready to use for structural gluing. The Glen-L Poxy "Shield" is like most other brands of epoxy resin and comes unthickened for encapsulating/fiberglassing but can be thickened with Silica powder for structural gluing.

DonaldH

Post by DonaldH » Wed May 09, 2018 3:46 pm

neel thompson wrote:Donald.... Most use thickened epoxy resin to glue parts together. Glen-L sells it. You can coat everything to encapsulate before you thicken it to glue parts together. As for how to get the lines on the plywood,,, you do that with a large sheet of carbon paper between the full size plan pattern and the plywood and trace it out. Glen-L also has the carbon paper. The answers to many questions you will have can be found here on the forum by initiating a search. There are also some books available through Glen-L that would be helpful for your first build. Best of luck to you... Neel
is there a certain type of marker i use with the carbon paper? because i dont see it working with the craft paper? does the carbon paper leave its own print? thanks in advance.

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Thu May 10, 2018 6:03 am

Hi Donald,

You don't need any special type of marker. A basic pencil will work just fine.

About the carbon paper and the plans:

In most cases, the Glen-L plans show half-widths of any given part. When you're tracing the first half of the part onto the wood, you have to fold the carbon paper so that both the top AND bottom surfaces leave a mark. With the carbon paper folded, or "doubled," like this... place it between the plans and the wood, and trace the lines. This will leave marks on both the wood AND the underside of the plans.

Then, you flip the plans over. The part you just traced will be mirrored on the back of the paper. Align this so that you can trace the other half of the part onto the wood. In this case, just use the carbon paper as you normally would.

Here's a link to a blog post that may help explain this:

http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/2 ... -part.html
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Return to “Small outboards”