Squirt Build - New Builder - Deck planking

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

boat953

Squirt Build - New Builder - Deck planking

Postby boat953 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi all!

I am just starting out boat building and so far after looking through the plans and instructions, I cant see anything on decking the boat with mahogany planks. Does anyone know of any useful guides?

I am looking for information on setting out and marking out - especially for the curved outer boards that line the perimeter. As well as marking and cutting so they all sit and are spaced equally?

I am planning to stain the perimeter planks and leave the internal ones natural, so any additional information on staining would be great too!

Once the planking is complete is it fibreglassed afterwards?

Thanks for your help! :)

Jimbob

Re: Squirt Build - New Builder - Deck planking

Postby Jimbob » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Probably the best advice I can give you is to base everything off of the centerline of the boat. Make patterns for your coverboards. You want the opposite side to be "mirror image" on the inward side of each coverboard. Cut your final coverboards with excess on the outside and trim to the shape of the hull. Even the best built boats are usually off from side to side, so that's why the centerline is so important. Next fill in the space between the centerline of the boat and the inside of the coverboards with planks. Since you used the centerline the space to fill in will be exactly the same.

I only used varnish on my decks. Cloth is not necessary.

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:56 pm

There's some useful information here: http://glen-l.com/deckseams.pdf

Postby 283 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:15 pm

Congrats on the new build.

It seems everyone does the deck planking a little bit differently. Depends somewhat on the tools you have and the look you want.

I remember seeing pics somewhere of a builder using a spring board to set the curve and then using a router for the outer planks. Looked like it worked well.
Mike

BillW

Postby BillW » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:31 pm

Regarding planks laminated over a sub-deck; some folks don't do that at all. When I built this Squirt, I was not on the internet much, and I was not aware that planking was ever applied over a plywood boat.

So, this deck is just 1/4 inch marine ply, stained, glassed with 4 oz. cloth, and varnished.

In real life, it looks pretty good, but nothing like an expertly applied planked deck. However, it does have some advantages over laminated planking:
It's much less complex, it's lighter, it's cheaper, and it does not have possible de-lamination issues, years down the road.

There certainly are a lot of really beautiful planked decks among the Glen-L builders.

Bill
DSCN5624 (2).JPG

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:27 am

It's no small feat to get the plywood on and looking like that! Very nice!

boat953

Postby boat953 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi all,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my questions. I will have a good read of all of the information. I think I might go with the oversized template idea!

Thank you!

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:26 am

For staining, look at Behlen's solarlux or trans tint dyes. They are water based and are compatible with epoxied. Check out my Squirt build for more info on how I did my deck.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Return to “Small outboards”