Super spartan or 3 point hydro?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Andymac

Super spartan or 3 point hydro?

Post by Andymac » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi everyone

I am new here, and new to boat building. My first build was a mini most, a William Jackson 8 foot hydro design. It was a project with my son, that, quite honestly when I started seemed like a monumental task.

It isn’t perfect, but it is now on the water for the simm r, it’s water tight, and planes very nicely. With the old 15 Johnson I have on it, it runs a top speed of 25 mph. It’s actually quite a blast for the kids (and me too!). I still have to put in remote steering and throttle, and the kids are debating whether to keep it the clear epoxy or throw a coat of paint on. But all of that will come this winter

In the end I found the process very rewarding - more than I could have imagined actually. And I seem to have been infected with the process as I am already thinking about a next build. I’d like to move up in complexity a little bit, to something bigger, and faster. But not too complex. A mahogany run about will have to be down the line sometime.

At the moment, I’m thinking of a tunnel hydro. So far the glen-l super spartan and the William Jackson 3 point hydro (see http://muskokaseaflea.ca/StaticWeb2/?page_id=36) have caught my eye. Not seem to be of similar size, and horsepower capability.

I am just starting to do more research but if anyone out there has any advice, I’m very grateful to receive it!

Thanks!

Andrew

Return to “Small outboards”