Steering for Zip

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Bill W

Steering for Zip

Postby Bill W » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:17 am

What have you Zip builders used for steering? I've looked at the Sea Star single cable system but it requires a rather large hole in the dash.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bill W.

gdcarpenter

Re: Steering for Zip

Postby gdcarpenter » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:42 am

For what it's worth I used a standard Teleflex steering system and opted for the NFB ( No Feedback System).
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

BillW

Postby BillW » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:37 am

The Teleflex systems (now called Sea Star) will be the most readily available, and the easiest to install. But will not be as "period correct"
for the vintage boat look.

A Mercury Ride-Guide system will have the vintage look, for an old Merc motor, but will be harder to locate, especially the right cable length.

An old cable & pulley system would be the most common on the old boats, but now days you will have to scrounge up the various parts, and I doubt
it will be all that easy to install.

I think those are your only choices.

Best wishes,
from the other Bill W

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:59 am

The rack style system from Seastar might require a smaller hole. You could check their website and look at the installation guidelines.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:42 am

MarkNJ put a pulley steering system in his zip. The Seastar systems are reliable and safe. They come with a black plastic bezel to cover the large hole but a person could turn something out of some nice wood to dress it up. If I ever get a lathe I think that will be my first project.

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:09 pm

gdcarpenter wrote:For what it's worth I used a standard Teleflex steering system and opted for the NFB ( No Feedback System).

Ditto for me.

The Rack system may require a smaller diameter hole, I don’t know, but it takes up more room behind the dash. Take a look at Joshua Burks’ setup.

I’d say, go with whatever steering system you WANT. If your dash beam is too narrow for the helm, there are aesthetically pleasant ways to address that.
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:11 pm

For example:

-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

eckie63

Postby eckie63 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi,

While my boat isn't a Zip, or a Glen-L design, it is fairly similar to the ZIP. Mine is called PM38 and was published in Popular Mechanics back in the day. I did go the route of the rope and pulley steering with it. I found a nice old steering wheel off of eBay complete with the drum. The rope, pulleys and springs I got from the Glen-L store. It is working very nicely although it is a little bit on the heavy side to steer.

Peter
My previous project: Popular Mechanics PM38 from 1962 (Not a Glen-L design though)
A neat method for steam bending in place.
Using Tractor paint for your boat. Great for trailered boats.

Moeregaard

Postby Moeregaard » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:28 pm

We used the Teleflex "Safety QC" system on our Zip. It does not have the no-feedback feature, but on a lower-powered boat such as the Zip (40 HP) I don't think it's really needed. When we had a 48" skeg under the boat, there was very little feel to the steering, and when I replaced the skeg with a fin the steering gained more feel, but you can still drive the boat with two fingers on the wheel. The only criticism I have of the system we used is that it has a lot of play (hysteresis) around center.

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

HotSaws

Postby HotSaws » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:29 pm

I used Teleflex SS15113 no feedback. We drilled out the tilt pin on the motor to accept the new cable (1956 Mark 55E). Works good. Steering is stiff at slow speed in a no wake zone, but it's just right on plane.

I used a 10 degree bezel kit too, because frame 4 is also my dash. I built the frame larger than the plans (left bottom edge straight) to have enough meat left after drilling holes for steering and tach.

Return to “Small outboards”