Stephens Zip

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Stevel

Stephens Zip

Post by Stevel » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:25 pm

Hello all! I just wanted to introduce myself as I begin this exciting journey! My name is Stephen, I just took the plunge and purchased the zip plans and the plywood boat building book from amazon. I choose to build the zip as my first build. My wife talked me into building the zip over the squirt due to the added room for passengers. A little about me I’m 29 live in Oklahoma , married 5 years no kids (yet) I’ve been wood working since I was young with my dad, he taught me a love for craftsmanship and wood working. I’ve got a garage shop, bandsaw , planer, drill press and lots of hand planes. I’ve built mostly furniture and I’m just finishing up a electric guitar I’ve built, so a boat will be by far my biggest challenge. I am encouraged by many projects on this forum and I believe the support found here is key to the successful builds of many. So here’s to hopefully a long and rewarding build and couple of years! Well hopefully not too many lol

JimmY

Re: Stephens Zip

Post by JimmY » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:58 am

Welcome. Sounds like boat building will be right up your alley.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:33 am

Welcome Stephen! Sounds like you've already got most of the woodworking skills needed to do the job. Fairing will be new but we've all been there. The zip is a great choice and a proven design. The only thing potential downside is that it is designed as a 15" transom and modern (non-portable) motors are all 20" shafts. Those older 15" shaft motors are getting a lot harder to find. You can build the transom at 20" no problem, but it's something you'll need to consider fairly early in the build.

Get a good start on it before you start having kids. You can still do it afterward but it WILL take a lot longer. Keep us posted.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:52 am

Stephen,

I'll also add this: If you're planning to regularly carry more than 2 people, you may want to look at the Malahini instead. For a family boat, it's a superior design IMHO.

I say that, building a Zip myself. As plenty of people have noted, the Zip just has a certain sexiness to it. However, I've ridden in a few Zips and a couple of Malahinis. The Zip is a "passenger" boat in much the same way that a Jetta is a 4-door family sedan. Those of us who have ever piloted a Pontiac Bonneville can tell you there's a BIG difference.

I regard the Zip as a "2 person boat with a back seat" more so than an actual 4-person boat.

Not at all trying to dissuade you from the Zip. I love the design. But if you're wanting a 4-5 passenger boat, you might at least consider it.

All the best, and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on whatever you choose!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:24 am

The Zip is an excellent, popular design and is very practical. It can be operated single-handed and many cockpit variations have been very successful. I do think it's shorter 15" transom can cause issues nowadays unless you can modify the transom or find a short shaft motor that meets your needs. Look at the many Zip projects here and even Joshuab's YouTube channel for his Zip build, tremendous amounts of info available.
I will echo Barnaclemike's suggestion to look at the Malahini (or it's 1' shorter version the Ski Tow), it's probably the next most popular design behind the Zip. It's a little more versatile based on size for four to five adults (thinking future family) and able to use any short or long shaft motor up to it's rated 85 hp. It can be built at a similar maybe slightly higher cost to the Zip, it uses the same construction style. And, there are many fine examples here on the Glen L site for ideas and pointers.
I may be a little partial to the Malahini, I'm building one myself.
The beauty of building your own boat is getting exactly what you want. So have lots of fun with your project no matter what it is. Ask any and all questions you have and remember to have fun! Oh, and post photos, we all love photos here.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:34 am

You and your wife should consider making a road trip out to the Gathering in September. You'd get to see these boats first-hand, and ride in them. It would give you a great perspective.
-Michael

Currently building a Zip

Stevel

Post by Stevel » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:52 am

Great comments gentlemen. Yes I do agree the zip has a “sexy” factor kind of like a sports car feel, and good anology because sports cars have a tight back seat lol. I love all the room the mahalini has Tough choice! I did place an order for the zip already so my gut says build that one, and try to accommodate building for a 20” motor shaft. Without having the plans just yet how hard will this accomodation be?

I will for sure document this journey on this forum with video/ photo progress!

I saw about the meet up, that would be great! I also saw a member on the forums is from owasso Oklahoma that I believe he finished a mahalini

Stevel

Post by Stevel » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:58 am

BarnacleMike wrote:You and your wife should consider making a road trip out to the Gathering in September. You'd get to see these boats first-hand, and ride in them. It would give you a great perspective.

Mike, did you build yours to accommodate a 15 or 20” shaft?

froberts

Post by froberts » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:29 am

Welcome Stephen!
Happy to see another young guy joining the forum and building a boat! It's such an awesome experience and I can't say enough about how supportive the Glen L forum/community is. Nothing gets your butt in gear to work on your boat better than seeing someone else posts an update or when someone hits a big milestone in their build.

I will second what Matt said, definitely try to get as much done as you can before having kids. (if you're planning on having them that is) I would highly recommend spending the time to watch joshuab's zip build on youtube. Sooooooooooooo much great info there and will give you a very clear understanding of each step.

Looking forward to keeping up with your build!
Fraser

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:42 am

Stephen

You might contact Glen-L. They might swap plans.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:28 pm

Stevel wrote:
Mike, did you build yours to accommodate a 15 or 20” shaft?
I'm building mine with the 15", cutout transom. For me, the aesthetics of the cutout transom is important. So is the lower profile of a short shaft motor... and preferably one with two cylinders rather than 3. I'm also generally looking to avoid older 2-stroke motors (not set in stone). That really limits my options, because almost all new 40 hp motors are either 3 cylinder, or 20" shaft, or both.

My preference would be a 30 hp ETEC, as this is the highest horsepower offered by Evinrude in a short-shaft motor, as well as being 2 cylinder. I'm also willing to go for a 25 if I find a better price on one. My current backup plan is the Suzuki 25 4-stroke, even though it's 3 cylinder. I like them because they're available in white.

Basically, I'm willing to sacrifice horsepower for both lower-profile aesthetics and cleaner-burning. Not everyone looks at it that way... but that's my perspective. I have told myself that if I wind up just having to get a 20" shaft motor, I'll mount it on a mini-jacker.

I would say, give a lot of thought as to how you want to use the boat.... Everyone has different preferences. What's important to you? What will give you the most options of all is to build the transom with a raised center for a 20" shaft motor. Then, you can always cut it down if you find a short-shaft motor you like.

For my part, I knew from the get-go that I didn't want a long shaft motor unless I just absolutely had to use one.
-Michael

Currently building a Zip

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:35 pm

As far as your question about how hard is it to modify the transom for a 20" shaft motor...

It's no big deal at all. PLENTY of people on here have done it, and can help you. It's basically a matter of just re-drawing the center top line of the transom 5" higher, and in a way that suits your tastes, and proceeding with the build.

For example, here is a "raised" Zip transom:

vs the original "cutout" transom:

-Michael

Currently building a Zip

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:30 pm

The difference between a transom for a 20" shaft motor V/S a 15" shaft is basically you bump up about the same amount for the 20 as you would cut out for the 15. Aesthetically, I think there is no difference. It is a good idea to have the motor, or at least decide on one, so you know how much you need to adjust the transom height during the build.

The Zip is more of a two plus two while the Malahini is a true four plus boat. We had a lot of fun in our Zip and it was more than adequate for us and an occasional adult or two kids in the aft cockpit. We found a very nice short shaft Merc 500 on Ebay to power it. If you hunt around and know what to look for, good motors are out there for reasonable prices. Newer four stroke motors will be heavier.

Glen L will exchange unused, complete, and undamaged plan sets if you think you need the larger Malahini. Either boat are fun projects and will perform admirably.

Roberta :D
Attachments
Madison Boat Show 079.JPG
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Stevel

Post by Stevel » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:06 pm

I like the idea of the four stoke engine, don’t have to mix oil and to me as far as the aesthetics in my eye there isn’t much of a difference. I also like the added horses ;)

The four stroke will be heavier so I am sure I will have to play around with balance and placement of a few things. I also like the big second hand market for the four strokes. The Honda engine in the picture looks really nice, I wonder what the owner thinks about it.

I can’t wait till I get these plans in the mail!

Meanwhile, is there anything I can be doing this week to get the shop ready / purchase like sourcing some mahagony lumber ? Or framing wood for the stand to build it on ?

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:48 pm

As far as prep... I wouldn't run out and buy anything just yet. Set some money aside, sure.

Honestly, I'd recommend watching some videos & reading some blogs on Zip builds (and/or Malahini and Squirt — you'll learn something from all of them.)

I can think of no better place to start than watching all of Joshua Burks' videos, honestly. They'll take you, in detail, from opening the plans to putting the boat in the water. Here's a link to the index page: https://www.youtube.com/user/joshuaburks/videos

And here's a link directly to the first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQjS46Ur3sk

That'll keep you busy, as it's a 53-part series. And a SUPERB reference.

Vupilot has a great blog on his Zip project. Bob Brandenstein's Malahini blog is excellent, too. The forum thread on Roberta's Zip is legendary (although sadly not all the photos are there anymore). There are PLENTY more.

When the Boatbuilding With Plywood book arrives, I'd recommend reading it cover-to-cover.

THEN go shopping. You'll be very well-informed about what to buy.
-Michael

Currently building a Zip

Return to “Small outboards”