Duck Boat Two Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

DuckHunterJon

Duck Boat Two Build

Post by DuckHunterJon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:10 am

Hi all. A bit of introduction first. I’ve been a hobby woodworker for about 30 years. I build a lot of furniture and gifts, and the occasional set of kitchen cabinets for side work. I’m also an avid hunter and fisherman. About 10 years ago, I decided I was tired of paddling a couple of miles each way to get to my duck hunting spot, and I wanted a new project, so I started looking at building a boat. That of course led me here, and to the Duck Boat Two. So what happened?

Well, I’m horrible at documenting things, but I built the boat over the next 6 months, and have been happily using it ever since. I recently started thinking about building another boat, and in looking at the forum (and builder pictures), I realized I never sent in any pictures of mine. Given the lack of builds of this model, I figured I’d start this post and catch up before asking a whole new set of questions about my next build.

My intentions with this project were to build something that would be utilitarian. I don’t abuse things, but I knew this would get dragged through mud, marshes, and ice at times. I also wanted to keep it light enough to drag it though those places on my own. This led me to build it entirely out of pine and marine ply, followed up with epoxy coating and paint. I debated on fiber-glassing, and chose not to in order to keep the weight down. So here are some pictures with 10 year old commentary. Let me know what you think, and any recommendations for the next build (which will be an entirely different animal!)
Jonathan Hunter
Marion, NY

Duck Boat Two complete, looking for a new project!

DuckHunterJon

Re: Duck Boat Two Build

Post by DuckHunterJon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:12 am

So after clearing out a space in the shop and reading the plans and instructions about 20 times, I felt I was ready to start. The DB2 does not have a building frame, but I wanted to raise it off the floor a bit to make it easier on my back. My platform was simply OSB laid on 2x6’s, laid on milk crates I’ve had around for years. This proved to be a comfortable height to work off, and was plenty stable throughout the build. Frames were built up from clear pine, and transom was cut from ¾ marine ply. Lastly the stem was cut from a 2x8 clear chunk of spruce. This portion went together pretty quick, with only minor issues. First, I notched the transom for the sheer clamp when I shouldn’t have. I also wasn’t happy with how the chine came into the stem, and ended up building that out a bit more, then fairing back.
Attachments
a3.JPG
a2.JPG
a1.JPG
Jonathan Hunter
Marion, NY

DuckHunterJon

Post by DuckHunterJon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:15 am

Next came the bottom and sides out of ¼ marine. Lots of filling and sanding, then three coats of epoxy to seal everything. At this point I was feeling pretty good, even though I basically had a boat shaped flat table in my shop. A few days later, I enlisted the spousal unit to help flip it over. I can’t believe how light it was at this point, yet very strong and stiff. Flipped over – now it started looking like a boat!
Attachments
a5.JPG
a9.JPG
a7.JPG
Jonathan Hunter
Marion, NY

DuckHunterJon

Post by DuckHunterJon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:16 am

Epoxy on.
Attachments
b8.JPG
b3.JPG
Jonathan Hunter
Marion, NY

DuckHunterJon

Post by DuckHunterJon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:17 am

And Flipped!
Attachments
c4.JPG
c2.JPG
b9.JPG
Jonathan Hunter
Marion, NY

DuckHunterJon

Post by DuckHunterJon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:17 am

At this point, I went all in on the decking, interior, seats, and finishing hardware. So much so I didn’t take any pictures! Once everything was encapsulated, I painted the entire thing in white Marine Rustoleum primer, then brown Rustoleum on the bottom, and Herter’s Dead Grass on the sides and top. Also somewhere in here, I changed my mind on hauling it in the back of the truck and decided to build a trailer. I started with a Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer. I heavily modified this trailer, including longer tongue, fully welded joints, added bunks, winch, etc. Here’s a picture of the trailer freshly painted, then the first time the boat was on the trailer.
Attachments
d2.JPG
d1.JPG
Jonathan Hunter
Marion, NY

DuckHunterJon

Post by DuckHunterJon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:19 am

Now the boat was usable, but my wife says to me – why didn’t you paint it? I of course say I did paint it, painstakingly! She (the artist) says, no, it’s ugly. It’s supposed to be ugly, it’s a duck boat! So at her request, I looked into an purchased a stencil kit to camo it similar to where I hunt. She actually did most of the stenciling, and I think it came out great! These pictures are from the maiden voyage. The motor is a Merc 39 4 hp that I picked up in excellent condition.
Attachments
e2.JPG
d9.JPG
d7.JPG
Jonathan Hunter
Marion, NY

DuckHunterJon

Post by DuckHunterJon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:21 am

Couple more glamor shots.
Attachments
d8.JPG
d4.JPG
Jonathan Hunter
Marion, NY

DuckHunterJon

Post by DuckHunterJon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:22 am

I used it like this for the next three seasons. Unfortunately, where I hunt gets very shallow, and I ended up plugging the motor intake every year. On the third year, I did a full rebuild on the motor, and started thinking about building a mud motor. I chose a long tail design, and started mocking parts up using a Predator 6.5 hp motor. Here’s a few shots of the beginning of this build.
Attachments
f4.jpg
f3.jpg
f1.jpg
Jonathan Hunter
Marion, NY

DuckHunterJon

Post by DuckHunterJon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:23 am

I turned the driveshaft from solid 3/4” stainless, with tapered bearings top and bottom. I also had to make a mid point bushing to keep the shaft from whipping inside the tube. The initial version used a universal joint to join the drive shaft and the motor, but this proved to be a no go. The vibration was enough to constantly break the shear bolt. I had to modify a CV joint out of a 4-wheeler front drive shaft to fit. This has worked perfectly. And of course, the blue on the motor had to go
Attachments
g6.jpg
g5.jpg
g4.jpg
Jonathan Hunter
Marion, NY

DuckHunterJon

Post by DuckHunterJon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:26 am

That’s how it has been for the past 5 years. I use the boat a couple times each spring, and maybe 6-8 times in the fall, and it works perfectly for my use. If you made it this far, thanks for following along. I'll close it with a couple of my favorite shots. Moderators, if these are not allowed, let me know and I'll gladly delete these final photos.
Attachments
IMG_0517.jpg
IMG_0510.jpg
Jonathan Hunter
Marion, NY

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:23 am

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. What are your ideas for the next boat?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:38 am

:D That's one proud puppy :!:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DuckHunterJon

Post by DuckHunterJon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:52 am

That's Bailey! She was always proud, tired, and filthy after a hunt! She passed 3 years ago at 14 years old. Truly mans best friend. One more of my gratuitous boating dog picture.
Attachments
IMG_9168r.jpg
Jonathan Hunter
Marion, NY

DuckHunterJon

Post by DuckHunterJon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:54 am

hoodman wrote:That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. What are your ideas for the next boat?
I haven't totally decided, but I'm leaning heavily toward a Monaco utility version. I love the looks, still need to do some more research and pricing considerations.
Jonathan Hunter
Marion, NY

Return to “Small outboards”