Transporting lumber

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Jgg12002

Transporting lumber

Post by Jgg12002 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:30 pm

Greetings I've received my FS plans and have been thinking about purchasing wood. I live in western Mass and have what I think is a good lumber supplier "Boulter Plywood" about 1.5 hrs down the pike near Boston. My question is how do you all transport your lumber? The plans call for 14' lengths for the shear and chine and I plan to laminate them so I'm guessing a scarf joint would be ok and I could perhaps stagger them but not knowing what length and width boards to buy for the frames I hate to have them cut the long boards to keep waste to a minimum. I have a pickup truck and the bed is 8' +_ with the tailgate down. Thought of a Uhaul but what if I don't like what I see. I'm honestly more confused about pickup than building the frames at this point. I realize I'll be making several trips and trying to figure some details out.
In addition would it be ok to leave the boat in the water for a few months at a time in a boathouse or is it a bad idea. I can use chain falls to pull it out but seems like a hassle every weekend.
Any help on my endless bantering would be well received, thanks.
John

billy c

Re: Transporting lumber

Post by billy c » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:58 pm

Welcome John
Put a couple of stakes in the pockets of your pickup bed and strap your long lumber to it. Should be able to get 16’ easily.
I’ve had great luck with Boulter, but wise to call ahead to make sure they have what you want on hand.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:18 pm

I just let it hang out the back. If I'm going a ways I put a flag on it.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:02 am

I put an extension ladder on my Jeep roof rack and secure the wood to the ladder with a red flag on the back. You could do the same in a pickup, only let the ladder hang out over the tailgate..

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:13 am

With about 8' in the pickup box and tailgate and 15-16' lumber, I was concerned about tipping the load out and the cab end of the load needs to be held down. I was about to ask my wife to ride back there, with a cushion of course, paid $60 for shipping. :shock: :D :D :D
Tom

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:44 am

My Sapele plywood came from Boulter. I drove from NJ to Boston and picked it up with my pickup truck. Very pleasant buying experience.

Boulter is a fairly unimpressive place, but they have a ton of stuff! That said, call ahead & make absolutely sure that they have exactly what you want in stock before you make the drive. To my eyes, some of the bins were "thinner" than others.

I wouldn't take a trailer. They're in a very small building on a city street with very limited parking (I parked in a diner parking lot next door). There may not be room to maneuver a trailer. Take a pickup truck & enough ratchet straps to keep everything tied down properly.

EDIT: It looks like Boulter might have moved. I just checked their website, and I see they're in Medford. When I went there (late '16) they were on Broadway in Somerville. Maybe they have room to turn a trailer after all.....
Last edited by Mark-NJ on Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:15 am

I stacked the lumber in the center of the bed so that it would be tall enough to catch the lower tie downs in the bed. Strapping it front and back kept it from tipping back. I was hauling 14' or so boards in a 6.5' bed with the tailgate down which makes it about 8'. Wrapping the rear strap around the stack keeps it from falling out the back.

Just saw the question about the boathouse. How protected is the boathouse from wakes? I could imagine a flying saucer bobbing pretty bad if big wakes hit the boathouse. If you want to leave it in the water you'll want to look into anti-fouling paint for the bottom. The fiberglass/epoxy coating will keep the hull waterproof and the anti-fouling paint will keep crud from growing on the bottom.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:02 pm

If you have a reciever hitch, get something like this. I made many trips using one similar.
Attachments
extendown.gif
extendown.gif (18.53 KiB) Viewed 646 times

Jgg12002

Post by Jgg12002 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:22 pm

Thanks for all the great replys gents, you all gave me many options to ponder what's best for me. Surely takes some pressure off because I'm not a fan of city driving especially hauling things. My boathouse is in a very protected cove with a no wake zone that actually keeps most people out. So it can be safely tied with 4 lines crossing in a X pattern. When we rent I'll haul it out for the month but thanks for the tip on the anti fouling bottom paint I'll have to look into that.
Again thank you all for taking the time to reply
Respectfully John

Return to “Small outboards”