Small gas outboard or electric trolling motor?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Mike_D

Small gas outboard or electric trolling motor?

Post by Mike_D » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:12 pm

I am building a 11 foot skiff (figure 80 lbs for boat weight plus 450 lbs people and gear) as a hobby and am trying to determine if I should use an electric trolling motor for propulsion or a small gas outboard.

Boat will be used in reservoirs and the odd small river. I see 56 and 86 lb thrust salt water trolling motors exist and it would seem that if a motor is strong enough to propel a small craft in slat water tides at speeds great enough to troll it might work good for "putting" around the local reservoir. That being said, I am very ignorant regarding what is practical.

Any input is welcome

hoodman

Re: Small gas outboard or electric trolling motor?

Post by hoodman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:52 pm

No matter how many pounds of thrust an electric trolling motor will only top out at about 5mph. So if you want to go that direction you might as well get a 30 or 40 lb thrust motor. An outboard sized appropriately would possibly get you on plane if the hull is capable of holding an engine with enough power.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Mike_D

Post by Mike_D » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:08 pm

Hoodman,

Thanks. I am very ignorant on this topic. Why is that?

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:20 am

A trolling motor is designed for low speed, relatively low RPM. More lbs of thrust is only necessary to move a larger, heavier boat but won't make the prop turn faster. If all you want to do is tool around at a walking or slow running speed a small trolling motor will definitely do the trick.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Small outboards”