Indiana Pee Wee

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Bashman

Indiana Pee Wee

Post by Bashman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:27 am

Hello!

I’m building a PeeWee with/for my 3 boys hopefully over this winter to touch down in our pond/lake come spring time. I thought I’d start a thread to document my efforts and to keep me honest about progress. I was out of town when my husband called and told me they came so I had to wait anxiously for a few days before I could scour through them. I think the exact conversation went: “Your boat plans came.” “NOBODY OPEN THEM UNTIL I GET HOME!!”

We just moved about two months ago and the pole barn where we will eventually build the boat is still packed with boxes to be sorted. It’s probably a good thing since it means I’m sorting faster than I normally would, but it means I’m scrounging for space to work now. So, there is only so much progress that can be made until that’s done.

So, now I’ve scoured the plans and discussed them with my kids (who weren’t super interested in the non-power tool aspect of building. My middle son asked: “Instead of having to read this, why don’t you just tell us what to do when it needs to get done and we will do it?” ... I replied, “I don’t know why you don’t do what I tell you to do when it needs to get done.” :roll:)

Last night I went out and bought carbon paper and taped it to the plans, transferred the lumber parts to poster board and rough cut them out.

I picked up African Mohagany scraps at the local lumber yard (~$25 for 5 bf) a few months ago. I am using the templates to try and figure out the best way to cut to minimize waste and cost. I will still have to get long board board for the deck beams but should be able to get all of the frame members. I’m not sure if I will just use the poster board templates or go back to the original plans and transfer it again. If I do that, it will probably be a kid job w/supervision.

I’m using an envelop to hold receipts and keep track of costs. I picked up the carbon paper at Office Depot and the posters/pencils/rulers/spray adhesive at the dollar tree. I have not gotten hardware, glue or plywood.

Total costs: ~$130 (bought two plans)

Thanks for reading!
Attachments
60ED1011-A2A7-4DE1-9DA6-CE52E6528229.jpeg
CAEEED23-0EC5-4C1E-9D87-9B50FDB83DD3.jpeg
C8757A1D-36B2-4C0D-A8E1-9EA25C35E354.jpeg

Ibrew2be

Re: Indiana Pee Wee

Post by Ibrew2be » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:10 pm

Welcome to the forum, and best of luck with your build!

If you haven't done so yet, I'd recommend you buy a copy of Boat Building with Plywood. It's an excellent reference.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:42 am

Good luck with your build. You'll find all the help and support you need here on the forum. BTW, how old are your boys?

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:56 am

Welcome aboard! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on your build.

I'd second the comment about buying the Boatbuilding With Plywood book from Glen-L. Definitely worth reading!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:25 pm

Welcome! There are a few of us Hoosiers here on the forum. I've had good luck with Northwest lumber in Indy and Johnson's workbench in South Bend for all my lumber.

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:13 pm

Welcome!

Good luck!

Buy the book!!!

Return to “Small outboards”