Fisherman

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

hoodman

Re: Fisherman

Post by hoodman » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:24 pm

Nice job! Great to have that hull planking on. It'll float now!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

epiziali

Post by epiziali » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:36 am

Thanks Michael and Matt. Currently on a little family vacation...good time to start reading about fiberglassing!
Eric

epiziali

Post by epiziali » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:00 am

I am currently working through sanding my fillings. I am using orbital palm sander with 120 grit. It’s requiring what seems like a lot of sanding to get excess off. I don’t mind if marks show as I will be painting. Just trying to access how muc sanding is enough. Feels like I am making a mess and definitely want to avoid creating new problems by over sanding. Is there a better technique or different grit I should be using? Thanks.
Attachments
9FA9D57E-B096-4398-A0F3-F5B9DD4D6D41.jpeg
C619FF72-5FF0-4778-B4A4-E7F3E74DE672.jpeg
Eric

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:44 am

I would recommend using a lower grit (60) to knock down the majority of the filler, and then use a hard backed sanding block or long board to do the final leveling. With the random orbital sander (ROS) you risk digging into the plywood around the filler and creating a low spot. Using a sanding block or long board, in various directions, you reduce that risk and have a little more control.

Also depending on your type of filler, make sure it is fully cured or it may continue shrink after you have sanded and create a low spot. I've seen this on the bottom of my boat even when using Epoxy and micro-balloons.

We're all looking for an easier, better way to sand, but sometimes you just need some elbow grease. Paint will not level or hide poor surface preparation underneath it and marine paint is expensive. So, make sure your hull is really ready to go before you start painting. We've all been there and know what you are going through!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

epiziali

Post by epiziali » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:56 am

Thank you very much...really appreciate the tips. I am using quick fair. I am already seeing multiple rounds of fill and sand. And the dings and low spots are my greatest fear. I'll get some blocks to use and take my time. Thanks again.
Eric

Return to “Small outboards”