Winter Boat Storage

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

boat-bill-der

Winter Boat Storage

Postby boat-bill-der » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:58 pm

I found a few posts on this topic, but none specifically address my question...

My concern is that where I live during the day it warms up to about 60* (maybe warmer if in diret sunlight), but overnight can be in the low 30*'s.

I will remove my motor and store it in the garage, but If I store my boat outside for the winter in a shelter framed on two side by a cedar fence, and a sliver tarp stretched across a wooden frame as the roof and other walls, will I have a problem with the expansion and contraction of the wood/epoxy causing cracks?

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:18 am

I hope I'm wrong on this but, unfortunately, I don't think I am. But the honest answer I believe is: "...only time will tell."

The epoxy is a wonderful stabilizer but I think it will be affected by whether or not the wood is totally encapsulated or if only on one side.

However, I do know that the other steps you've mentioned will definately help.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

DonBing

Postby DonBing » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 pm

boat-bil-der: My Hunky Dory has been stored outside for 3 years under an ever-evolving assembly of 2x4's and tarps. Temps range from 0 to 90F. A load of snow is not unusual. And on occasion the tarps leak.

From my experience I think the degree of any possible problem is largely a function of the quality of plywood.

My hull marine grade doug fir is glassed and epoxied on the outside. No problems. The inside of the hull is epoxied and varnished 3 coats each. The protected area inside the cabin and pilothouse look new after 4 years. The exposed cockit area looks almost new.

The cabin and pilothouse use exterior grade plywood and got 2 coats each of epoxy and a quality topside paint. They cracked and checked so terribly after 1 year that I had to glass and epoxy the whole mess. Lesson learned.

I have not had any problem with framing or solid lumber trim no matter what the finish or exposure.

Don

boat-bill-der

Postby boat-bill-der » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:36 pm

Good to know.

I used Hydrotek BS1088 marine pylwood which should be pretty high quality, but I don't know how much faith I would put in my encapsulation.

The deck is coated on the topside with 5 very thin coats of West System Special Clear, and no varnish yet. The inside with 1 very thin coat of epoxy.

The sides and bottom exterior are glassed, but i am not 100% confident in the adhesion. There seems to be a few areas that don't look like they were full saturated on the wet out, but have since been fully coated with 2 or 3 coats of epoxy and no varnish yet. Inside was encapsualted with a coat of epoxy but to be honest, it was kind of half assed and thin since I ran out of money and epoxy.

I guess it's gonna be a crap shoot. I'll keep her in the garage this winter so I have at least one good "new boat" summer, then next winter she's going outside...

Jack_09

Re: Winter Boat Storage

Postby Jack_09 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:39 am

I am thankful to Elite self storage in Brendale for providing me yearly services for storing my boat and other automobiles that I do not dive during winters.

cusoak

Re: Winter Boat Storage

Postby cusoak » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:49 am

Plywood is not as prone to drying out and shrinking in the winter a is solid mahogany. I think that the worst thing you can do is to wrap it to tight in the winter and let it stay that way into the warm spring and summer sun. Getting to hot under cover is hard on any finish of a wood boat.
Jeff

Return to “Small outboards”