Bullet motor

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

flabio

Bullet motor

Post by flabio » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:42 pm

Hello,
I have purchased and am waiting for the plans for your bullet boat. I traded an expensive racing bicycle for a very good condition Mercury 50hp motor with a guy at work whose doctor said exercise or die. If I beef up the transom will this boat work? Would it work better if I canged the long shaft for a short shaft.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:57 am

It should work fine.be sure to build the transom high enough for the long shaft

Matthew Edmondson

Post by Matthew Edmondson » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:50 pm

Do it and have fun! :D

goodwyrd

Post by goodwyrd » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:53 pm

I'm building a bullet as well. I think I'll be using a 50 hp merc as well. It should work just fine. remember to only cut the top off the transom if you have a shortshaft otherwise your boat will lose A LOT of power/speed.

depending on the year of the motor you could run into some trouble. I have two motors right now one is a 50 hp chrysler from '68 that weights about as much as a car and the other one is much newer at about a '88. From my limited experience the older the motor, the bigger it has to be to get the same power...and our boats are going to be very little a big motor on the back could be really dangerous/sink all of your hard work!
Take your time...the time it takes to fix your "shortcuts" ends up twice as long as if you'd done it right in the first place!

goodwyrd

Post by goodwyrd » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:13 pm

I did some more thinking...the 50 hp motor I was going to use was far too heavy. I traded the motor I had for a much nicer 35 hp motor. You should consider this. There are a lot of people who are willing to upgrade their horsepower and accept an older less nice motor as a trade. You can get a great smaller motor for that 50 you have.

I love the new motor and its going to fit much nicer...
Take your time...the time it takes to fix your "shortcuts" ends up twice as long as if you'd done it right in the first place!

Scott

Post by Scott » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:38 pm

Right on man. What year and how much does your 35hp weigh?
Thun.der.bolt
ˈTHəndərˌbōlt

A flash of lightning with a simultaneous crash of thunder.

An ignition system of early Mercury outboards that not only is a nightmare to diagnose but also improves a marine mechanics competency.

goodwyrd

Post by goodwyrd » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:59 am

I'm not sure what the exact weight is. its a heck of a lot lighter than the 50 hp! I believe its an '89

Craig_Bay

Post by Craig_Bay » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:50 pm

For the most part, the older the motor, the less it weighs in my expierience. My '64 Merc 500 weighs around 140lbs. A modern 50hp is around 250lbs. My dads 4 stroke 15hp weighs around 135. Sound proofing, emission regs and most of all, power trim and tilt add a lot to a motors weight. Granted, you could probably get a lot more pace with a smaller motor with pt and t. Also, for the most part, i would recomend two strokes on most of the smallish glen l plywood boats. Take it ez.
-Craig

john8460

Re: Bullet motor

Post by john8460 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:48 pm

i am also building the bullet and was wondering how much HP you recommend.

Return to “Small outboards”