Good news... Bad news re: Frames & Gussets

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Boat Builder Newbie

Good news... Bad news re: Frames & Gussets

Post by Boat Builder Newbie »

First the good news:

I got to use a new tool: had never used a template with my router table before... turned out pretty good

-----and----

The quality of the output isn't exactly CNC quality but not bad

Now the BAD news:

After finishing all my gussets... and tweaking them... and recutting some... I realized last night that I have MISREAD the data sheet since the print quality is so poor (that... and I am a moron) and the gussets are 3/8" ply NOT 3/4" ply.

Now for my two questions:

1) Aside from the fact that I just cost myself a fortune, does anyone see any harm in using the 3/4" ply for the gussets? It will weigh a little more obviously... and may require longer screws... but any other downsides I am not considering?

2) Regarding frames and gussets... I am planing to predrill holes in gusset/frame/gusset and then epoxy and then either bury the screws or do the "just break the surface" routine. Does that make sense also? (a bit of the suspenders and belt approach someon else mentioned here in a post)

Thanks for "listening"

George
There is no mistake so bad ... that a life preserver cannot correct!

John B

Post by John B »

1. There's no problem using 3/4" plywood; it will be heavier, however.

2. If I were doing this, I would countersink all the screws. As long as you're going to drill a hole anyway, why not use one of the drill bits that has a built-in countersink. The results will be much neater (no chip-out).

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

I used 3/4 inch for the gussets, also. Not because I misread the plans, but because I had the 3/4" on hand, but didn't yet have my 1/4", and I was ready to get on with it.

The only problem I encountered by using the 3/4" was that I had to fair down (bevel) the outside edge so that the chines and shears bent around the frame correctly and mated properly to the frame hardwood.

Boat Builder Newbie

Post by Boat Builder Newbie »

Well... in that case... I didn't misread the plans either.... I just decided to improve upon the design!
There is no mistake so bad ... that a life preserver cannot correct!

Return to “Small outboards”