new squirt pictures

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Drew

Post by Drew »

Theres a few nice motors in there in the 40hp range. I think I may get a new motor for nextyear.. a new old motor? yes..

Scott

Post by Scott »

Yeah he does have some nice ones that some don't really even need fixing up that much.

Today not knowing that I have limited money..went out and spent $120 on a leather jacket..which I have to return now..because I totally forgot that I am buying the 55E.

Your decision is wise muahahaha.
Thun.der.bolt
ˈTHəndərˌbōlt

A flash of lightning with a simultaneous crash of thunder.

An ignition system of early Mercury outboards that not only is a nightmare to diagnose but also improves a marine mechanics competency.

Boat Builder Newbie

Post by Boat Builder Newbie »

Drew

Absolutely awesome job... if my build turns out 75% of that I'll be absolutely obnoxious about it! :)

Care to talk a little about your decking and the screws and method you used? You seemed to have zero noticable screw holes.

If it's a technique that is well knows... would appreciate someone providing a link or an idea of where I can find it.

thanks
There is no mistake so bad ... that a life preserver cannot correct!

Scott

Post by Scott »

He could have used a countersink bit then used Phillips's or Robertson's flat head wood screws, leaving it flush with the wood/decking then maybe he mixed his own. Or bought wood filler (basically fine saw dust and glue).

That way there is no possible chance you can see the work that as been done and it blends in with the current wood being used. If you use the left over fine saw dust from the wood that you are using for your craft then it will be more likely you won't see your screw head. Plus sink the screw about one millimeter below the decking/ply so you have coverage for the filler.

Next sand only when the glue is dry then make it blend with the current wood selected.

OR, he could have laid the ply down first by screw n' glue then just glued the decking on in order leaving absolutely no visible screw heads or blending. Using marine powder glue or caulking as filler to fill in the space in between each plank on the deck.
Thun.der.bolt
ˈTHəndərˌbōlt

An ignition system of early Mercury outboards that not only is a nightmare to diagnose but also improves a marine mechanics competency.

Drew

Post by Drew »

http://www.drewsboatsquirt.zoomshare.com/1.shtml/Squirt

If you go about midway down the page you can see a bunch of photos of how i did it.. Im pretty sure I copied someone else on this forum so I cant take much credit!

Scott

Post by Scott »

Still its a nice boat, but remember that someone who you copied could've copied someone else, etc. etc.

Squirts really turn out well, everyone seems to have different ideas in some way, whether its from hatches to motor wells or cockpits and helms to use of wood and stain and paint.

Just varnishing it is nice. Even over thinner fiberglass because it is still clear and you can still notice the natural beauty of the mahogany. Also black paint looks great blending in with the mahogany colours.
Thun.der.bolt
ˈTHəndərˌbōlt

Return to “Small outboards”