Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

billium

the rest of the story

Post by billium »

so here is some of the story behind Pretty Polly
I started this build in October 2006
I got a frame kit from Glen-L .com
I got the framing, chines and sheers glued up and ready to be fared around Christmas. I purchased the paint, glass and hardware with my income tax in February 07. I spent the next year building the boat. For the next income tax check ( plus a bit from my pocket) I purchased the motor.
The motor is an 08 Mercury 15HP I had it built with the remote option. The motor cost as much as the boat dit to build.
We got to take it out for Labor day weekend. We took it to a local lake. I had a buddy back it in as I stood on the dock and watched as it went in. it seemed as it was never going to lift off of the trailer, but it finaly did.
I have the gas tank and the battery in the back. This will most likely change this winter.
The motor will not get up to over 2000rpm
I did not think to see if I can get anymore with out it in gear.
I baught the hydrofoil fins for the motor and will try it again some time this week.

John K

Post by John K »

Love the paint job. Good looking boat.

billium

Post by billium »

thanks for the complement this has been a lot of fun to build. this is the first boat I have ever built, except for a couple remote controle. not to much different just a bit bigger. I tried to keep some of the paint scheem as the drawings but wanted to keep the wood look on the deck. I still can not get the motor to run over 2000rpm i called the place i bought it from but they have been no help as i did not have them install it. any help in this issue would help

Scott

Post by Scott »

Sweet, another one with a 4 stroke!
Thun.der.bolt
ˈTHəndərˌbōlt

A flash of lightning with a simultaneous crash of thunder.

An ignition system of early Mercury outboards that not only is a nightmare to diagnose but also improves a marine mechanics competency.

Brian Eager

Post by Brian Eager »

Beautiful boat! Now let's get it running as great as it looks.

Get the cowling off and check to see if you have full travel on the throttle plate. It may be simply a bit of adjustment for your remote throttle control to get full movement of the plate in the carburetor throat.

Generally speaking, at idle speed the plate should close nearly flat, and at WOT the plate should be..... wide open.
Noah was a first-time boatbuilder

billium

Post by billium »

thanks scott i whent this rout even thoe it is heave with deq i do not want to buy a new motor in a few years.

thanks for the advise brian. i checked the throttle and at wide open it is up against the stop and the butterfly is full open. there is an oil pressure light and it sais in the install manual how important it is. it is installed and with thee key on without the motor running the light comes on after cranking the motor for a few seconds the light goes off and after shutting the motor off it comes back on so i am sure it is working properly.

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

beautiful boat....hope mine comes out as nice!

Maybe too big a pitch prop for the boat?

I would contact Mercury & tell them the story,why you installed,& that the dealer won't help you....get them involved( maybe tell them Tohatsu's are looking very good for your next boat!!) :wink:

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Billium,

As you mentioned, with the ignition on and before cranking the oil pressure light comes on, goes off when cranking, then comes back on with the engine off - That's normal.

A few other possibilities:

1. It's not likely, but Is it possible that you didn't go through the minimum break in hours yet and the motor is limiting your throttle?

2. Does it feel like it's hesitating or running poorly? Did you make sure your tank was properly vented & make sure the fuel lines/filter isn't clogged?

After that, I am pretty much out of ideas... I really think the best place to focus is the the throttle cable... I really think somehow the throttle is not going all the way to WOT. The butterly may open, but it may not be getting the full amount of gas

With the engine off push the throttle all the way open, and take a look at the gap between the parts highlighted below...

If that arm doesn't come close to hitting that pin, then you need to loosen that screw (that looks like a servo arm and connets to a bellows like on a Nitro RC motor) and adjust it so that when the throttle is all the way forward, the arm hits that pin and that little black thing that looks like a plunger is compressed fully. It's hard to tell from the picture, but if you look at your motor it'll make sense.

BTW, great boat!!!

billium

Post by billium »

Thanks for your help Boat-Bill-der
the throttle linkage does hit the pin as it should.
I have put about 5 hours on the motor in a garbage can before taking it to the lake.
the tank vent is wide open I even tried it with the vent completely out of the tank.

RoyH

Post by RoyH »

The engine is brand new. Why dont you let the dealer have a look at it?

The boat looks lovely. I'm building a Squirt to, and would like your opinion about the handeling etc.
I'm just a starteled bunny in the headlights of life..

billium

Re: Squirt launched

Post by billium »

I have to sell my toys.
I have well over $7000.00 into it but would take $5000.00 OBO
I can deliver her for a fair cost. I live in central Michigan.
I hate to let her go but think it would go to a good home from someone here.
I have all of the build up pictures and the build report and can pass this on if interested.
The boat is licenced and titled in Michigan and would come with the trailer.
The trailer could use a coat of paint. The bearings are new and all of the lights work.
Please help me out. Work layoff is the only reason I would concider letting her go.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Wow, the boat is very nice looking. I really like that paint because it's showing what IMHO is a very new and refreshing graphics design on a hull who's design is old enough for some many others to have duded it up every which way possible. .....or so we thought. lol

Good job.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Note to Moderator/All:

Not sure if it's just me, but Some of the URLs in the first post on page 1 redirected me to some some "inappropriate content"...

Bob Maskel

Post by Bob Maskel »

boat-bill-der wrote:Note to Moderator/All:

Not sure if it's just me, but Some of the URLs in the first post on page 1 redirected me to some some "inappropriate content"...
That happened to me too last night...not only clicking on the URL's, but also by clicking on the build pictures.

Unfortunately I was at work when it did that....Luuuucy, you've got some 'splainin' to do!! :(

Bob

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Wow, I thought I was the only one. At least I wasn't alone. It's dang sneaky the way the spammer's minds work these days. I couldn't gone all year without that garbage.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Return to “Small outboards”