Where to start...

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Iggy

Re: Where to start...

Post by Iggy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:11 pm

I picked up some lumber today for the building frame.. and I also designed & build an outboard engine stand. I used 2x6 lumber, leaned the verticals 12 degrees to match the typical transom mount and notched in the cross bracing supports. I didn't have a chance to take a picture of it yet, its at the farm where I am storing the motor. We used a tractor to lift the engine off the 'donor' boat and put it on the stand.. and it sits just about perfectly. The 1969 V4 85 HP Johnson is going to spend the winter in storage, and I will pull it out early in spring and let my dad tinker with it to see if we are going to keep it our try to sell it for parts.

And I saw some SNOW today.. yes.. snow. It was mixed in with light rain, but it was definately white for a while, but thankfully it melted on the ground.

I am putting together my builiding frame this week, I hope to get some parts of it started on Sunday. I have to build a dog house first tomorrow.. for my inlaws German Shephard, who is now 6 months old and needs a place to sleep in the winter. He used to sleep under the picknic table, but now that the snow is back on the weather menu... its time for some walls with insulation.

I am pretty sure I am going to use a band saw to cut my frames... even cutting some 'soft' studs with my jig saw it was painfully obvious how much the blade deflects sideways.

I am really anxious to get my materials now.. but they are still at least 3 weeks away due to a back-order on 6mm BS1088 plywood at my supplier. Its getting shipped from the West Coast.. so its all or nothing due to shipping charges.

One little step at a time...
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:16 pm

If anyone has a design/photo of a motor stand I can build, please let me know.
Too late to be of any help to you since you've already built a motor stand ... but here's a link to plans :

Building an outboard motor stand (http://forums.iboats.com)

Another case of knowing that you've seen it somewhere but it takes forever to find it !

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:45 am

I love the guy's little helper. That's gotta be the coolest. Hey that's my avatar.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:28 pm

I picked up a nice band saw today from Home Depot.

Ryobi, 9in, $129.00 ($20.00 off) CAN

From what I've heard, a band saw can really speed up the boat building process for certain tasks.. and at that price ans with very favorable reviews and a solid 2yr warranty I figured its a good deal.

Also, my wife informed my the I have two early Christmas presents.. a power sander and a power planer.. which is awesome for 2 reasons.

1. Those two tools will really come in handy and...
2. She is encouraging me with the project and actually buying me tools... which is worth more than the tools themselves.

Lumber arrives in about 2 weeks (give or take). I hurt my lower back pretty good last week building that dog house for the farm.. overdid it... got to pace myself better. Its about 50% recovered by now.. so I should be able to get back to work on the building form very soon.

Now.. all I need is more clamps...
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:08 am

upspirate wrote:Save the frame and plexi til you decide and install something else.....just in case you need parts and a pattern!!! :wink:
I love this comment. Don't listen to anything he says here. Don't go gittin all misty eyed about someone elses junk being another man's treasures. :oops: This is how you end up with garages and shops full of stuff and no place to work, saving things that you MAY need. This is how you also end up with more boats too and how not to win over wimmin to buy more tools either. :twisted: :lol: 8) You gotta keep them focused. Make a list of assorted clamps for your christmas list and pass it out to all of your family and friends. You will get more use out of them than a neck tie. Those fine folks will also tell you how nice you look in their christmas[can I say that] present too when you get the wood all cleaned up. :lol:

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:18 am

Pirate was just saying that to see what your reaction would be. Aint that right, Warren.

Warren?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:21 am

well,yes and from experience,I have held on to something for 30 years,and then to clean the garage,threw it away only to need it the week after!!!

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:22 am

I also have seen what people have gone through on here to get an old style appearing windshield

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:26 am

:lol: :lol:

I realized recently that I was using one of my "argument" lines too often when, as I was saying it, my wife was mouthing it back to me in perfect lip sync harmony. I was saying: "But Baby, I might use that at any minute." :lol: Guilty as charged.

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:54 am

upspirate wrote:I also have seen what people have gone through on here to get an old style appearing windshield
I concure sir with one caviat. In production boats, junk metal was used and not worth putting it on new hulls, bringing out my replywhich may not be the case in the frozen tundra. Of course once again I speak from boating in salt water 10 plus months a year too which causes things to decline more. :lol: :oops: This is also how I got my long established title from being the most wrinkled 18 year old around the docks. :lol:

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:03 am

I agree on the salt thing,I've seen 40 yr old northern boats( and own 2 old Mercury outboards now) that have only been used in fresh a few eeks a year and look like new.

However I've also seen 1-2 year old saltwater boats and motors down here that look like they went through WWII

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:32 am

Dave Grason wrote:Pirate was just saying that to see what your reaction would be. Aint that right, Warren.

Warren?
Reaction? Thats what happens when you pull a trigger. I am just full of "opinions". :lol:

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:38 am

Iggy wrote:I picked up a nice band saw today from Home Depot.

Ryobi, 9in, $129.00 ($20.00 off) CAN

From what I've heard, a band saw can really speed up the boat building process for certain tasks.. and at that price ans with very favorable reviews and a solid 2yr warranty I figured its a good deal.

Hi Ian.

Sorry to be a "buzz kill" here, but IMHO, a 9" band saw will be more trouble than it is worth for a boat building project. I doubt it will have the power and control to be helpful cutting the frames. It is only a good deal if it will do the job for you.

(My 14" bandsaw did not make the list of "Five Tools I Cold not Build Without")

If you do not already have a good saber saw (Bosch, Hitachi, Freud), I believe that the money would be better invested there. (that tool WAS on the top five list) If you have not set up the Ryobi, you may still be able to return it.

(The Planer and Sander are indespensible)

Others... am I out of line offering this unsolicited advice?

B.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:09 am

My last & still current hobby of aquariums started off with one little 1/2 gallon tank an 1 fish (betta) then blossumed into 105 tanks & jars of all sizes and just over 400 fish (bred two bettas.. got about 350 babies.. each male needed to be seperate from the other). So I am very much aware of 'hobby creep' when it comes to holding onto things. I am down to about 4 active tanks (3 inactive) and 1 pond (which has about 1/2" of ice on it and my goldfish still below it).

I am fortunate that my inlaws are close by, have a huge farm, and like me enough to let me store a few things at their place (camper, boat trailer, engine...)
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:37 pm

Nothing like a white-knuckle 50 mile drive carrying a few thousand dollars in imported wood in the back of your pickup truck... with each little bump and jolt making you look back and wonder "Maybe I should have spend more than $8.00 on those bargan bind discount ratchet straps holding 100 foot board of lumber on top of the truck bed?"

Well.. I made it home with the load. I was very happy with the way the boys at Canadian Freightway recongnized that I wanted to load this stuff gentle and the guy made sure it was properly protected the whole time.

Also, Westwind Hardwoods did a good job packaging it up, wrapping the ends and protecting the lumber for LTL transport. I bought a tarp on the way there but did not need it because the weather was nice (for a change) and it was already wrapped up pretty good.

I have some picture for starters...

And empty spot garage.. waiting for delivery.

My Malahini Glen-L plans.

Clamps anyone... ok ok.. just a 'starter set'.. more to come.

This is what 100 foot board of lumber looks like.

This is what 16 sheets of Hydro-Teck Plywood looks like.

Lumber delivered... bye bye winter parking spot!

Quartersawn Sapele... milled S-4-S.. ready to be made into a boat.

Well, my forearms are locking up from lifting that load of lumber and plywood off the truck.. I can barely type.

Thanks to my neighbor... Don.. for helping me unload the bigger pieces of plywood.

Tomorrow.. I start to layout the frames. Whoo Hoo!
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Return to “Small outboards”