Where to start...

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

jeffh

Re: Where to start...

Post by jeffh » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:18 pm

That is beautiful. Love the floor. I sure hope you don't show up anywhere I am. I'll have to put my boat back on the trailer and cover it if you do.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Naa... its got its bumps already, plenty of character spots! It looks great from a minor distance ;)

I need to be patient now before I start putting on the boat bling hardware. But still, its neat to see it and know I DON"T HAVE TO SAND ANYMORE for quite some time anyways!!
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:01 am

Looks great Ian!!!
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:06 pm

The satin gives a nice unique look.

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:46 am

Progress has been a bit slower, mostly because I was waiting on some special stainless steel fasteners to arrive so I could secure my floor. Unfortunately the fasteners I special ordered arrived with the wrong type of head on it. So, I decided to use 'plan B' and sourced some nice SS curb washers and regular SS truss head screws and got my floor done, finally.

I've put on a few pieces of hardware as well; stern bolts, grab rails, cleats, vents, chocks, step pads, etc. Basically everything but the wired stuff, which will be happening next.

Still have to get the upholstery done on my seats, make a glass template for my windshield and get that cut & installed, and then wait patiently till early spring so I can put her on the tailer and mount & test my engine.

I will snap some photo's soon.. just have a bunch of junk piled around her right now (winter tires, pop can bags, empty christmas present boxes, etc).. so I need to clean that up before I take a picture.

Its been a mild winter so far, but still cold enough to need a bit of warming up or my hands get numb.

Oh... and my wife & I put her name on: "Old Black Rum"... after the song by the band: Great Big Sea. (as well as our favorite drink!).
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Onplane

Post by Onplane » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:42 am

Heh, yeah, I should go take a pic of mine and put it up... It's filled with misc baby contraptions, wood for other projects, sawdust, bicycle accessories, & wiring (that is yet to be completed). :shock: :lol:

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:17 am

Its amazing how much junk you can fill around, underneath, and inside a boat during the building process if you are not careful!

I managed to get the wiring done for my bow light, stern light, horn, switches, float switch and sumps done over the weekend. I have not done much 'wiring' in my life, and soldering is definately a skill I need a lot more pratice to master, but its getting done.

I am itching to take some photos' regardless of the clutter. Maybe this weekend.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Sat May 05, 2012 7:41 pm

Ok folks, just in case your wondering if I've fallen off the face of the planet or not...

I've been a little busier at my new job than before, so free time on weekends at home have been a premium, however the good news is that there has been progress on my Malahini.

My electrical is done, tested and tucked away neatly under deck. I still have the fuel tank to hook up, as well as bolt on the motor, but that will happen once I get her on the trailer (month or so).

Upholstery fabric has been ordered and I will be dropping off the parts to get them professionaly done next week.

I still need to get her registered and insured.

Windshield glass templates are finished (today), and I will get the glass cut in the next week or so.

Some pictures showing hardware installed and wood templates for where the windshield will be. Enjoy!
Attachments
100_4901.JPG
100_4899.JPG
100_4898.JPG
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Sat May 05, 2012 7:42 pm

A few more pictures...
Attachments
100_4904.JPG
100_4903.JPG
100_4902.JPG
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sat May 05, 2012 8:04 pm

looks great....can't wait to see the in the water report!!! :D

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Sat May 05, 2012 8:24 pm

Sweet! Good weather on the way! Just 15 minutes a night remember!

Steve

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sun May 06, 2012 3:25 am

Look's Great!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Thu May 10, 2012 1:09 pm

Looking good Iggy!
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Tue May 15, 2012 4:56 pm

Dropped off my seats at the upholsterer this weekend. 1st week in June they should be ready. In the mean time, going to paint my engine cover, register and insure my boat, fit my trailer with extra bunks and then test the motor.

T-Minus 1 month (or so) and counting!
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Tue May 22, 2012 7:45 am

Engine cover got painted this weekend. Not quite happy with it, as the paint I used ended up less glossy than I hoped and my spray application was not quite as even as I'd like. I think its passable... but would try to get better equipment if I did it again. I will give it a week to harden then put my new embossed chrome lettering on it... THEN I will take a picture (from a distance) and share it with everyone ;)

T Minus 3 weeks or so... depending on upholstery. Windshield will arrive after her field test, and I will do an 'official' launch with her all dolled-up. Trailer gets the extra bunks next week, engine mounting & tests the following.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Return to “Small outboards”