Where to start...

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

ttownshaw

Re: Where to start...

Post by ttownshaw » Tue May 22, 2012 7:59 am

Iggy,

I wasn't happy with the gloss level on my engine paint either so I sprayed a clear coat (gloss) over the top and it made the paint really shinny! I couldn't get a perfect match to the original evinrude but got pretty close...I'm sure your work is better than mine though! FYI, I used automotive custom tinted aerosol paint from Oreilly's. I think I spent about $50 total so can't really complain too much anyway. Zinc Chromate primer was the most expensive part at $14 for the super large can. Used two cans of paint and two of clear. Didn't repaint the lower plastic shroud...although in hindsight I should have done it at the same time.

Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

bigblock

Post by bigblock » Tue May 22, 2012 8:29 am

Wow Iggy... "passable" is an understatement for sure... looks great... as does the rest of her! Wonderful inspiration for us that are just getting started.

Norm II
Norm II
"All-A-Board"

bigblock

Post by bigblock » Tue May 22, 2012 8:35 am

Whoops... realised that I was commenting on Bill's picture (nice job Bill :oops: ). But my "inspiration comment" certainly stands with regard to your build as well as others here. I'm sure your engine looks fine, and not much that we're doing is irreversible, if you're not happy with it "down the road".

Norm II
Norm II
"All-A-Board"

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Tue May 22, 2012 8:41 am

Yep...I have a tendancy to hyjack other people's threads by accident from time to time. Sorry Iggy! :oops:
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Tue May 22, 2012 2:00 pm

So... do you think I should clear coat ontop of the paint I put down this weekend?

I guess I could, but I imagine I will have to scuff the surface once again. I have a BIT of time to work that in. How would you go about doing that if you where me?

I sent in my registration info, got my insurance (www.Hagerty.ca/Marine) lined up, dropped off my windsheild templates for 5mm laminate cut ... and I ordered my windsheild gaskets/rubber from www.classicboatconnection.com today.

My 2 do list is shrinking!
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Tue May 22, 2012 2:14 pm

I scuffed with a 0000 pad, wiped the surface clean, and sprayed on clear. You could wet sand and do the same.

If you are happy with it then leave it alone. If you want more gloss then add a clear gloss. You can test on some scrap if you want.
Bill

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Sun May 27, 2012 9:07 pm

My arms are killing me... spent the entire weekend prepping my boat trailer... loading the boat on my trailer.. playing musical bunks because I used the wrong braces in the wrong spot (requiring me to jack up the boat). Then it took no less than 4 of us to lift that bloody big outboard off the stand and move it 1 foot onto my boat.

Between unbolting, rebolting, unbolting and rebolting again, my forearms are numb. But apparently I can still type!

The good news is... everything fits... no big damage... and next weekend we will see if we can't start the motor and pick up the upholstered seats.

T-minus 13 days till first splach if everything pans out.
Last edited by Iggy on Mon May 28, 2012 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon May 28, 2012 4:50 am

We're all rooting for your success!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:54 pm

Well, its official, Old Black Rum has an operating engine!

Not that I doubted (much)! The 1989 90 HP Mariner fired up pretty quick, and after I found my water intake properly (some kind of groves a bit above threw me off at first), we rev'd her to 3000 rpm and checked the gears, tit, ect...

Also my gauges are all operating, tac.. volt... fuel... and I will see about the speedo when I hit the water.

I also repainted the engine cover (again), looks a lot better, drying right now in the garage.

My laminated glass is also waiting to get installed, some time this week.

Upholstery should be done some time this week.

T-minus 6 days till she floats.

Video my daughter made of the engine startup from a window nearby on her iPod Touch. I am the big guy in the backgroud, my father (Frank) is at the controls.

Video is on youtube here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvlGiBRyags
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:51 am

All the best during the launch!! Your daughter look as anxious as you. Very exciting.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D

bigblock

Post by bigblock » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:00 am

"So cool" is right Ian! Sounds pretty good. You must be quite excited! So nice to see that your family is "onboard" with O.B.R.! Cherish that.
Norm II
"All-A-Board"

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:37 am

Awesome! That is exciting! Looking and sounding good! Smart move to not let your daughter out of the house so she cannot scratch the boat@! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now get ready for that really weird feeling: The completion of the boat. For some reason, for me, the excitement of using the boat did not come close to the excitement of building it. This must be some kind of named condition! :roll:

Congrats...you are ALMOST there.

STeve

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:09 am

Way to go! It is exciting as things come together.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:00 am

Iggy

You know it might just be about time to rename this thread :!:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:13 am

How about "Where to finish?" :wink:

Roberta :D :D :D :D

Return to “Small outboards”