Where to start...

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Roberta

Re: Where to start...

Postby Roberta » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:12 pm

I've been meaning to try some rum in one of those Mickey Ds Cherry Berry chillers. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:36 pm

Now thats good thinking Roberta! :D

Great pics Iggy and nice work. I like the white engine hood. Cant wait to see the in the water pics with upholstery. If you can do it, get some video for us so we can drool a little extra.

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:54 am

Great job, Ian! It looks great.
Your transom ladder inspired me to order a similar one for my Malahini. The modus operandi at the Lake of the Ozarks is to anchor in a cove and float in the water while sipping a brewski. We need a way to get back in.
I'm still waiting for a hull number and registration. Hopefully Alberta is faster than the state of Missouri.

red

Postby red » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:59 am

great job looks awsome

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Tomorrow should be launch day, weather permitting. I have the essentials covered (I think), going over my checklist a few times to make sure.

Upholstery is done and installed, no photo's to share (yet), saving that for the big launch.

Now I need to try to sleep. Big day!
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:55 am

Best of Luck Ian! :)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jeffh

Postby jeffh » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:48 am

Best of luck Ian. Make sure you have your bilge plug/s inserted and all your safety gear on board. Especially an anchor and a paddle...just in case.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

jeffh

Postby jeffh » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:17 pm

So I know it is a few hours earlier where you are Ian, but I keep coming to the forum looking for an update to today's launch.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:18 am

Well.. yesterday was indeed launch day!

Was overcast and windy when we where setting up to leave, but the wind dropped and the sun poked out when we got to the lake. The launch area was pretty busy at Pigeon Lake's provincial park, and I didn't have much time for ceremony during the actual launch. We got a bottle of champagne but will open it later.

In short, it was simply amazing. Floats a little heavy at the stern, but no surpise with my big 90 engine and 19 gal fuel tank full, plus battery in the rear. However she planes fantastic and the 90 HP Mariner lifts her out of the water with little effort. No porposing, no cavitation issues, nothing I couldn't adjust with the trim anyways. The extra 5 degree's I built into the transom seems to have been the right decision.

It took a bit of time to produce the launch video, and my rendering software kept failing otherwise I would have had it up last night.

But its finally done and posted to youtube here: http://youtu.be/vGZKuYxOKTo

Old Black Rum is now an official part of the Glen-L fleet!

My dad's GPS was out of power so we didn't get an offical speed, but my guess will be somewhere around 45 MPH.

I am a very proud Papa this fathers day.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:09 pm

Very nice!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:26 pm

Well done Ian. Happy boat, happy family. Enjoy the summer!

Buckeyesmith

Postby Buckeyesmith » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:02 am

Congrats! Looks like she rides great. Be sure and get some fenders to keep that concrete pier from eating your beautiful work.
My Webalbum: http://picasaweb.google.com/Buckeyesmith1/Gem#

The best part about a manual screwdriver is not needing to remember if you left it in reverse.

Completion is but one step in the process and not one bit more important than the others.

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:50 am

I had a another great trip with OBR this Canada Day long weekend. I didn't take much photo's as we where pretty rushed to get to the lake. You see, my kids wanted to go tubing with some of our neighbor friends and we had to get to the lake 'right away'. I took a few quick shots with my cell phone of Old Black Rum at the farm where she is now being stored... it still feels weird not having her in my garage spot.

We pulled 2 kids on the tube, and once I figured out how to get to speed without turning the tube into a water anchor, I got them into all sorts of trouble. I have a short video of the tubing event I need to upload to show the kids on the tube, just haven't gotten to it yet.

I had no trouble with cavitation during turning (my skeg was installed per-plans), however it will cavitate if I try to throttle up slowly with the tube hooked on. I have to give it a bit more gas at the start to get everthing on plane... then the 90 Mariner huffs along just fine after that.

I also got some rub damage on my hull... I have those rubberlike 'bumpers' but it wasn't sitting properly and rolled alongside the hull, scratching up the clearcoat :(. I will give it a wet sanding to see if I can't clean some of it up.

I realized I haven't taken and so-called 'final' shots with the upholstery yet! I plan on getting some better bumpers and buffing up OBR one more time for some 'pretty' shots.

Oh... the rear sliding bench works great. I will take a few photo's of that as well.
Attachments
178.jpg
179.jpg
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:08 am

I took OBR out for another spin this weekend on Pigeon Lake. I had a bit of 'Ian' time by myself while the family visited a neighbor at the lake, so I was able to go waste a quarter-tank of premium fuel and stalk other boats on the lake. OBR seems to speed up faster than the fiberglass boats, and has a respectable top-end. Nimble is how I'd describe the handling. Not crazy fast, a lot of bigger boats will have a higher top-end and better handling at 40+ Mph, however nobody around here has anything that looks like my Malahini.

I've had some great reactions & conversations about OBR. One guy just walked up and kept saying 'Wow... just wow'. I get a lot of long looks from other boaters, and some kids have given me the thumbs-up & 'cool dude' complements. I've smiled at the 'how old is your boat' question and coyley responded 'about a month' to their surprised expressions.

OBR is also gettting more and more 'character'. The corner of a metal dock took a good chunk out of my gunwale (nothing I can't fix). I have a few clearcoat scratches, and the shipping straps have dented my vinyl rub-rail. There is some kind of oily slime on the starboard side of my rub-rail.

I guess this is all part of the cycle of boat building. In the garage, its all clean (ish), safe (ish), and a lot easier to patch up and care for. Once its out on the lake a few times, docks, rocks, and trailering take their toll.

However, no regrets. OBR is a working boat, and the kids love tubing behind her. I will break out the fishing rods on the next trip.

For now, its about enjoying the fruits of my labor, and I am doing exactly that.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

ttownshaw

Postby ttownshaw » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:15 am

Great post Ian! I still grin at the comments and thumbs up...that will never go away!
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Return to “Small outboards”