Where to start...

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Iggy

Re: Where to start...

Postby Iggy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:13 pm

We had Old Black Rum out on a new lake this weekend (Wabamun). It was a fun trip with my kids and brother in-law fishing for a few hours on a hot Sunday afternoon.

My daugher Nicole caught her first fish, a northern pike, right before we where about to pack it up. Its the first fish caught on Old Black Rum and I am glad it was her who caught it.

Another great lifelong memory created with my kids, just like I hoped.
Attachments
100_5108.JPG
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:26 pm

That is the way to do it. And believe me, there will be lot's of memories
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:41 am

That's awesome, Ian! Her first fish, caught in a boat built by her dad... She'll remember that forever.

What a great-looking Malahini, too! (And with a great name)

-Michael
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:33 pm

I took OBR with me on our camping trip holidays to Moose Lake in Alberta. Its a fair sized lake for Alberta but really shallow along the edges.

It was the first camping trip that was a small distance (3 hrs) and involved using 2 vehicles... our minivan for OBR and my father's truck to pull the camper. The drive was wonderful, the campsite slightly confusing in layout but we had a good lot with room to store camper and boat with plenty to spare.

The next day I wanted to get OBR on the water, and we had our first 'adventure' with backing in a boat with a mini-van in shallow water. It was raining lightly, good time to fish (so I thought) but the mini-van could not back far enough at our local boat launch to get OBR floating.

So we drove 10 minutes to the next launch, and it was just as bad. Just as I was going to ask my wife (who was backing up the van while I was in the boat) to stop trying, I told her to back to far to the side and the front wheel of the van drove off the concrete ramp blocks and dropped 10" into the sand. The van was thoroughly stuck... wheels just spun around. So, we call a nearby town to send a tow truck and the poor fella had to duck under about a foot of water to hook up the chains and pull us back on the ramp. It was an expensive 'oups', and put a real damper on my spirits. I swore never to bring up this part but now that a bit of time has passed I can look back and laugh at it (kinda, credit card statement might change things).

So... I was not going to quit, so we swapped the trailer from the van to the truck and backed it in far enough (the next day) to float her off.

From there on it was pretty smooth... except the dock where I parked OBR the next three nights managed to worm a few more scratches on my sides. I will be asking about 'how to touch up clear coat scratches' soon, once I get some photo's.

The good news... Daugher got her 2nd fish, and I caught the biggest fish I've ever pulled in right before we had to leave the last day. It was a northern pike that put up a good fight.

I also found out my top speed: 40.1 mph @ 5,500 rpm. There was this one morning the water was almost like glass... and OBR flew that day!

I'd like to get some kind of electric trolling motor to help make fishing and low-water maneuvering a little more friendly. I've seen some outboard mounted electric motors, just a bit out of my budget for this season.

I also gave a fishing ride to 3 boys, their father, my son and myself on the trip. He made friends with the boys at the campground park and I offered to have them come along to fish. The father had a 26' boat at home (couldn't bring it because he got caught without his boating licence), however he was just awestruck at OBR, loved it... and had a big grin on this face the whole time. 4 boys crawling over the deck, motorwell, header, hanging off the sides... was also a first for OBR.

Malahini has been a great boat for me so far. No disappointments and more than meeting my hopes for what kind of boat I wanted to have in the end.

I still get thumbs-up on the highways... as one person put it "You only see those kinds of boats in the movies".
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:06 am

Yay Iggy.

Half the fun of building the boat is the many stories that go with it.

(Did I tell you about last week, when we were on the lake at idle speed, and I opened the hatches to check the temperature... the boat was veering to the right (about 200 yards from the nearest shore) so Ann felt the need to grab the wheel and correct. She managed to shear off my steering coupler, and the wheel came off in her hands. The rudder was stuck at full lock left. We got home with her nudging the shifter between forward and neutral, while I sat at the transom with a paddle, muscling the back of the boat to stay straight)

My wife is getting bold with the car and trailer. Normally, I drive the boat to the ramp, and she drives the car. over Then I get out and bring the trailer to the water. Our boat ramp is very tight, and you need to navigate a three point turn with the trailer to get the trailer pointed toward the water.

Last week, Ann managed the turn, but still didn't back the trailer down the ramp. Maybe next time...

Congrats on the Northerns. those are MEAN fish!

B.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:09 am

BTW.

My shopping list today has OBR on it. I spent some time working on a project in Bermuda, and developed a dangerous fondness for "Dark and Stormys".... (Dark Navy Rum and Ginger Beer). I've got half a case of the Stormys, but no black rum to complete the deal.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:25 pm

Missing it... not just the fishing or the boating, but the building (and maybe even the sanding - a teeny tiny bit)

I re-read this thread today to try to tie me over for a few more weeks. The only wood working I've done is to cover our floor in the house with plywood so we could lay down the vinyl flooring. It's not the same as working on my boat :(

So for all of you still sweating away in some garage, or basement, or wheverver, pulling out wood slivers and coughing up sawdust... savor the days!

The next project is a new home for us... with a big garage for who know's what's next ;)

Anyone know a great homebuilders forum like Glen-L?
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Iggy wrote:Missing it... not just the fishing or the boating, but the building (and maybe even the sanding - a teeny tiny bit)

I re-read this thread today to try to tie me over for a few more weeks. The only wood working I've done is to cover our floor in the house with plywood so we could lay down the vinyl flooring. It's not the same as working on my boat :(

So for all of you still sweating away in some garage, or basement, or wheverver, pulling out wood slivers and coughing up sawdust... savor the days!

The next project is a new home for us... with a big garage for who know's what's next ;)

Anyone know a great homebuilders forum like Glen-L?
no but you have several Home builders on here myself included in that category, I can relate to not building I have my build on hold until I can get my shop built and house remodeled after my farm sells in Ohio. It is hard for sure you just need to do another boat project :lol: :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:22 pm

I was able to find some time to take my shoebox full of receipts and enter them into a spreadsheet to figure out my total investment in this project, NOT including labor, which I don't want to know nor do I care.

In my case, I came pretty much on budget and within a few hundred dollars of my quick estimate. Money well spent.

In the spirit of sharing to help other builders get some perspective, I have the breakdown below.

$ 1,526 Adhesives (Epoxy, PL, etc)
$ 387 Disposables (Sanding Paper, Foam Rollers, Mixing Sticks)
$ 2,800 Engine (90HP 1989 Mariner 2 Stroke Oil Injected, Tested)
$ 870 Fasteners (Bronze & SS Screws, Bolts, Temp Fasteners)
$ 280 Fiberglass (6oz)
$ 1,987 Hardware (Lights, Chocks, Drains, Pumps, Electrical, Windshield)
$ 159 Plans & Legal
$ 2,910 Lumber & Plywood (4/4 Sapelli & Meranti Hydrotek)
$ 534 Paint (Clear, Color, Enging Cover, Anti-Slip Floor Stuff)
$ 120 Signage (Lettering)
$ 780 Shipping (Materials to me, various suppliers)
$ 1,430 Upholstery (Foam, Fabric & Professional Installation)

$13,783 Total Build Cost

In addition, I spent $2,253 for my used Trailer, including adding extra wood bunks and getting a new hitch installed & wired on our mini-Van.

I spent less than $1,000 on tools overall (including clamps), all of which are re-usuable for other projects.
So far my boat accessories (rope, anchor, bumpers) is under $500, but I am sure that will climb over time.

The epoxy costs are probably what I would say is the most surprising... not that it should be, however I wasn't kidding with my supplier that I would pay for his lights for another month every time I bought a big tin. BUY BULK on whatever brand of epoxy you want to use, because you use a lot of it!

The initial costs (about $3,500 in lumber, fasteners, epoxy) was exactly a quarter of the overall budget. The rest was spread out into batches over the 2 year 10 month building period. I was able to do odd-jobs to pay for a third of the build, which helped out a lot.

Financially, I am pretty happy with where this ended up. I could have done it for less, but not a whole lot less, and perhaps not in the same time-period it took. If I had better local sources for lumber and hardware I would have saved quite a bit there.

I hope this helps other builders. Keep on building :)
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

obd

Postby obd » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Iggy, your boat building blog has been an inspiration to me. I find myself, I think, almost exactly where you were Summer of 2009. Based on your writings, I think my skill set and tool set are comparable. I have spent the last 18 months reading and researching the project. My twins started college this year so half of the 2-car garage is available. My Malahini plans arrived last month. I think I am going to go with the jigsaw/template/flushtrim router approach for cutting my frames. Don't really have room for a 14 inch bandsaw. I look forward to bombarding you with questions as the build unfolds!!! I have a West Marine store in my town. I might get my epoxy there instead of having it shipped from Glen-L to save some bucks. If I were to buy in bulk approximately how much would you suggest? Thanks for your help! Bob

Mattie411

Postby Mattie411 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:28 pm

obd wrote:Iggy, your boat building blog has been an inspiration to me. I find myself, I think, almost exactly where you were Summer of 2009. Based on your writings, I think my skill set and tool set are comparable. I have spent the last 18 months reading and researching the project. My twins started college this year so half of the 2-car garage is available. My Malahini plans arrived last month. I think I am going to go with the jigsaw/template/flushtrim router approach for cutting my frames. Don't really have room for a 14 inch bandsaw. I look forward to bombarding you with questions as the build unfolds!!! I have a West Marine store in my town. I might get my epoxy there instead of having it shipped from Glen-L to save some bucks. If I were to buy in bulk approximately how much would you suggest? Thanks for your help! Bob

If you buy the west marine stuff make sure to pick up the $12 pump set, it is pre calibrated to deliver even mix ratio with each pump.... squirt of hardener, squirt of resin, ready to go. no measuring and no mess. for more just use more squirts...

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:48 pm

obd wrote:Iggy, your boat building blog has been an inspiration to me. I find myself, I think, almost exactly where you were Summer of 2009. Based on your writings, I think my skill set and tool set are comparable. I have spent the last 18 months reading and researching the project. My twins started college this year so half of the 2-car garage is available. My Malahini plans arrived last month. I think I am going to go with the jigsaw/template/flushtrim router approach for cutting my frames. Don't really have room for a 14 inch bandsaw. I look forward to bombarding you with questions as the build unfolds!!! I have a West Marine store in my town. I might get my epoxy there instead of having it shipped from Glen-L to save some bucks. If I were to buy in bulk approximately how much would you suggest? Thanks for your help! Bob

Definately get the pump set if you go West Epoxy, I had no issues with mine. I replaced the pumps with a new set about a year into the build just to make sure they stay accurate. The old set had gotten a bit messy with my rookie hands.

Congratulations on getting the Malahini plans, and I am happy to answer questions.

As far as epoxy size, the biggest you can afford, because you are going to use plenty of it. I bought about twelve (12) gallons of it in the end, plus the fast or slow hardener and fillers.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:18 pm

Iggy wrote:Definately get the pump set if you go West Epoxy, I had no issues with mine.

I use the pumps with the Glen-L epoxy also...same 5 to 1 ratio...just make sure you use the 5-1 pump...I think the package comes with a 2-1 little pump also...
Bob
Sea Knight on the water/Malahini in progress

Buckeyesmith

Postby Buckeyesmith » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:52 am

Iggy,

Nice job on the bookkeeping. I too kept a spreadsheet. Mine isn't as detailed as yours but our costs are very similar.

$541.63 Shop materials and supplies (not including beer!)
$774.68 Boat Supplies (sandpaper, paint brushes, plans, etc.)
$8,478.39 Boat Materials (wood, epoxy, hardware, lines, fenders, safety equip)
$965.90 Upholstry
$2,158.44 Motor
$12,919.04 Total (mine is a little lower because as a West Marine employee I got a discount on some items)

I spent about the same for tools which will be used again, $1,072.15.
My Webalbum: http://picasaweb.google.com/Buckeyesmith1/Gem#

The best part about a manual screwdriver is not needing to remember if you left it in reverse.

Completion is but one step in the process and not one bit more important than the others.

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:02 pm

Ian, Buckeye.
I, too, kept track of all my bills and quantities and created a spreadsheet to add it all up.

I'm wondering if we should start a new thread either here or in Powerboats to have folks post what materials we used and costs. It might be helpful to those planning a build to get an idea of what it really costs and how must wood to buy, etc.

Here is my data:

Plan: Malahini. Built to plan.

Quantities:
8x.75" SB screws 1000
8x1" SB Screws 1000
8x1.25" SB Screws 200
8x1.5" SB Screws 300
10x2" SB Screws 200

Epoxy medium 10.64g (3:1 mix)
Epoxy fast 0.625g (4:1 mix) (Needed for the cold weather)
Cabosil (quarts) 10
Wood flour (quarts) 2.5

White Oak 4/4 113 bf Frames
Mahogany 4/4 18 Dash
Mahogany 5/4 61 Deck (resawn and planed to 3/8)
Maple 5/4 18 Deck (resawn and planed)

Costs:
Wood $2,299.70 Plywood, Oak, Mahogany, Maple
Motor $887.93 Motor, fuel tank, repair parts, manual, steering arm
Trailer $746.16 Trailer, keel roller, parts, tiedowns
Service $150.00 Laser engraving, polishing, resaw and planing
Paint $377.32 Paint, tape, sandpaper, foam rollers
Fasteners $669.35 SB screws, Galv. & SS bolts, SS airgun nails
Hardware $486.03 Deck hardward, windshield brackets, rub rail, hatch trim, ladder, etc.
Plans $164.13 Plans and books
Upholstery $2,213.83 Seats and boat cover
Electric $630.57 Wire, battery, fixtures, switches
Control $552.42 Steering, control cables, control handle
Epoxy $777.50 Resin, 6 oz. cloth, Cabosil, mixing containers
Parts $561.46 Fenders, anchor & line, transom saver, battery box, Plexiglas, etc.
TOTAL $10,516.41

I'm probably missing about $300 of stuff I bought locally and this doesn't include any tools (e.g. bandsaw). My motor (1976 Merc at $550) and trailer where significantly less expensive, which has a big impact on the overall cost. My upholstery was more, but I had a fitted cover included. It seems things cost a bit more in Canada or was it shipping from the US?

EDIT: I changed the numbers from my original post. I forgot to include the plywood in my original spreadsheet. The total went up by $1,161.
Last edited by rbrandenstein on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Small outboards”