Where to start...

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Mr Hot Rod

Re: Where to start...

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:32 pm

rbrandenstein wrote:I'm wondering if we should start a new thread either here or in Powerboats to have folks post what materials we used and costs. It might be helpful to those planning a build to get an idea of what it really costs and how must wood to buy, etc.

Cost and time to build info can be found on the Costs And Time To Build Page. To add your project to the list, email your build info to info@Glen-L.com.

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com

Glen-L Boat Video Directory : http://www.kanecustomboats.com/pages/vi ... ctory.html

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:02 pm

My wood and epoxy costs are probably a bit higher than in the US or Eastern Canada. Engine was a big chunk as well, for used, but that is the going rate for my market.

The Cost and Time to Build page is something I've seen before, and my Malahini build costs are pretty close to most. $10k is a pretty tight budget, $15k seems more 'average'' for the Malahini based on what I've read.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:58 am

I case anyone is wondering if I drove off the edge of the planet... not quite yet!

With my new job (and their blocking of all forums), its been hard to keep up with all the builds, but I do creep on once and a while to check things out.

My family is doing great, enjoying Old Black Rum a lot during the summer (its under about 4' of snow in it's shelter right now).

A few updates:

We bought a new-built home in October, sorta an 'unplanned opportunity' popped up near our current home and we ended up making an offer, taking 2 weeks vacation (in Floriday/Disney), coming home and finishing all the outstanding home renovations on our existing home (13 years of unfinished home projects), de-cluttering, TEN trailer loads of junk to the land fill (including a fair share of left over wood scraps, unfortunately), then showing, showing, showing, bartering, packing, moving, packing, moving, buying new furniture, window coverings, beds, bedding, tables (after looking at the samples a few dozen times 'at home' just to be sure)... and then unpacking, waiting for new furniture delivery, etc etc. In about a 2 month window. NOT RECOMMENDED. But worth it.

It's nice to have a new place and be able to finish off a few things.

The important part.... it has a good sized garage. Not as big as my old one, but better insulated. I already built rows of shelving and a work bench in the garage.

I am also going to finish the walk-out basement (2 stories above are done). Yard needs landscaping (spring), and I desperately need to build a tool shack in the back (lawn mower is in my basement).

So... not much time for dreaming about boat building... in fact it's been hard to think about Old Black Rum at all with how hectic I've been lately. That said, the winter reminds me of the long nights I spent in the garage building my Malahini and it never fails to bring a smile to my face and joy in my heart.

Spring is a few months away... like 3 to 5 depending on how mother nature feels up north... however I already have a few little things to add/tweak on Old Black Rum and I have a extra week of holidays I intend to spend on the water this year.

For those of you picking wood slivers out of your hands.... #salute and keep it up, its worth it.
For those of you waiting for spring like me... #beer&cooler and we'll catch up with you later.
For those of you currently boating... #yourkillingme and try not to rub it in too much ;)
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:46 am

Ian

Good to hear things are going well! Welcome back!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:55 am

Glad to see you back, too, Ian!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

ttownshaw

Postby ttownshaw » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:58 pm

For those of you picking wood slivers out of your hands.... #salute and keep it up, its worth it.
For those of you waiting for spring like me... #beer&cooler and we'll catch up with you later.
For those of you currently boating... #yourkillingme and try not to rub it in too much ;)

LOL...You've been missed Ian!
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:44 pm

Glad to see you back Ian. I remember your encouragement when I fist started my build. Thanks for that. Hope to see your continued presence here. Take care.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

themiser

Postby themiser » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:20 pm

I just recently found this forum and my desire to build a boat. Unfortunately, due to life, my desire is going to have to wait for a (long) while. It's looking like if I get lucky, I'll be able to get plans for Christmas. And then hopefully I can buy things in very small quantities to get started on the frames. I live in a very boating friendly area (western Washington on the Puget Sound) which should be home to several suppliers that will give me the opportunity to price shop as well as not worry about shipping large quantities of marine grade plywood / hardwood.

Anyways, I wanted to tell you how impressed I am with your build. You attention to detail was great, the satin finish is different and in my humble opinion brings a beautiful modern tweak to an otherwise classic and timeless look. I just finished reading through your build today (over the course of the last week) and find myself in complete awe. I cannot wait to get started (and finished).

I hope your fun and enjoyment continues and that life might bring another possible boat build for us all to salivate over.

Regards,
Sean

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:30 am

Hi folks!

Just thought I'd motivate a few of you still sweating and sanding away on your builds.

I am taking Old Black Rum to the Shuswap Lake's in the British Columbia Rocky Mountains in a few weeks.

I'll post some pictures when I get back. This is my first time hauling Old Black Rum to the mountains and has been something I was always envisioning while building my Malahini.

I rented a cabin with a boat slip, which is another first for me, so I am looking forward to stepping out of my cabin every day and fishing, pulling the kids and just cruising the lake system.

So keep working on your dreams... it's worth it... and I'll keep you all posted!
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

jeffh

Postby jeffh » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:29 am

Wow that is a beautiful lake Iggy. Please do post some photos. Our lake is in the mountains and I had to tow up a steep and twisty road up to 3000ft and then back downhill to 2000ft. I have a Tahoe and I just selected the tow switch on the transmission and it was like there was nothing behind me.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi Iggy!

That's a great photo! What a beautiful lake, too! I got to spend some time south of there on Lake Okanagan a couple of years ago & sampled some of the locally produced wine. What a beautiful region.

I'm looking forward to seeing any more photos that you'll post. Have a great time!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Ches T

Postby Ches T » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi Ian,

It has been a bit since we chatted. Just wondering how your trip to shuswap went with your boat? That is truely one beautiful lake! We took the family there when they were young and had a blast for about 5 days on a houseboat.

I have not been around on the forum much the last year or two but I do check in occasionally. My Zip is coming along, but slow. to many things have got in the way but now that fall is here I am trying to get at it a bit each day. I am working on the deck planking now. Hopefully by spring I will be bugging you about hoe the best way is to get a boat registered in Alberta.

We bought a condo In Tofino, BC. last summer on the west side of Vancouver Island that we rent out as a vacation rental. I can assure you that your boat would turn heads in the harbor there! I have been dreaming about taking my Zip there and scooting around. There is a nice sheltered harbor.
Ches

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:12 pm

I'll be hauling Old Black Rum out to Christina Lake in southern BC in July for holidays. I am seriously considering moving the battery from under my splash well to under the bow at the front. The 18 gallon gas tank and big 90 HP Mariner is a lot of weight in the back, if I can move some of that forward I'd be happier with how she sits on the water.

I am thinking about getting some heavy gauge jumper cables, cutting off the clamps and putting on wire ends and using the cables to feed power back to the engine.

Anyone have a better idea?
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:55 pm

Iggy,
Good to hear from you; your build was parallel to mine and I used a lot of your ideas and information to assist in my build.

I considered the battery up front, but the cost of cables was huge. It is cheaper to move the fuel tank up front, but then you have the filler issue.

I think jumper cables are a smart idea, they are probably a lot cheaper than buying raw cable. Make sure you get enough gauge to handle the current.

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:54 pm

It's been crazy hot around here lately, but I managed to get the battery moved to under the front deck. I used a #4 gauge 14' booster cable, put battery leads on both ends, build a cradle and used a kids seatbelt I bought from Canadian Tire to hold down the battery box.

Starts up fine.. no noticeable changes yet.

I am pulling her to the lake, will take 2 days to get there. Looking forward to another trip. Will try to remember to post some pictures.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Return to “Small outboards”