Where to start...

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Iggy

Re: Where to start...

Postby Iggy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:02 pm

Quick update.

About 5 years ago I posted a Part 1 of 2 video diary of the construction of my Malahini. Then my video editing software wouldn't work on my new operating system so I didn't complete Part 2.

4 Years ago I launch Old Black Rum and made a video of the launch along with some build pictures as well.

I kinda left my Part 2 on the back-burner... until yesterday. I bough a new version of my video editing software and put up a video collage of the rest of my construction process.

A link to the Youtube video is below.. enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPDqMafd6dM
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:27 pm

Ian

I had fun!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:51 pm

Like the video Iggy. Boat came out great.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:16 pm

Love the vid and the song!
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:58 pm

Hello fellow boat-builders! I hope everyone is still happily covered in dust and epoxy since I last dropped in.

I've been busy finishing the basement of my home... not quite as fun as building a boat, costs about the same amount also... but still happily keeping my hands busy... till about 2 months ago.

2 months ago... my wife asked me to 'come see something' on her computer, in her office, near our kitchen. I was a bit grumpy, and didn't want to 'see something' at that moment... (which is often code for 'fix this computer'), so I grumbled. She insisted... so I grudgingly came into the office.

Then she told me it was something someone we know 'liked' on facebook I should see. I am not a big facebook fan, so I wasn't exactly eager to try to help hear sort through a whole bunch of crap posts to find whatever she wanted me to 'see'... cat video no doubt. So I was still grumpy.

Then... she found the liked post.. it was a Ad... an Ad for a brand new lakeside RV development at a lake I was on just last June for the first time. See... my wife has been enduring my life-long desire to have a lot near a lake... on the lake is a rick-man's game in my nick of the woods... and even 'near' a lake is about a quarter of a million dollars for a shack... plus taxes... and only VERY grey-haired or wealthy men play that game.

So... this was for me... for a dream of mine... and my grumpy self quickly turned excited... and apologetic... and excited.

Something else that is ULTRA rare in my nick of the woods is ANY kind of lakeside development. The regulators.. neighboring communities.. and immense land costs (very few boat-able lakes) make it near impossible for developers to take the chance and make the investment.

It was the developers 'opening weekend' at a RV show in a smaller city a few hours away. The new RV area on a lot alongside a very undeveloped lake... seriously undeveloped and underpopulated lake... which is about 1.5 hours from my home. I knew the lake, looked at it from Google Earth dozens of times in my quest to find an affordable home near a lake, and it was on my list of good-to-go if an opportunity came my way.

And there is was... that morning, on my wife's computer... on a liked Facebook page... opening weekend. All lots where first come, first serve, all the same price... all 35 year leases on fully serviced camp sites (only, no houses, no permanent structures). There are a LOT of them... hundreds... but each lot is a fair size (45'x65').

So... we called the number on the facebook ad and spoke to a sales rep for the developer. We inquired about the status of various lots that caught our eye... were considering putting a refundable small deposit 'just in case' we wanted to get one... although I had my doubt about my wife allowing me to do that... when the sales agent told me that one of the Lots on the lakefront was let go by another person.

That was it... we put a deposit down.. and then agonized for the next few weeks (which was as long as the deposit could hold the site) deciding if THIS was the direction we wanted to go. All the pros...all the cons... giving up on one dream (building a cabin) and taking on a new dream. Finding the money (unexpected.. the basement reno was where we were investing), and then looking at all our expenses... running the numbers over and over and over again till I was certain... YES... this is what I wanted.

Bank appointment.. agonizing 3 week process.... and one Big Caveat from my wife... the OLD trailer had to go. New Trailer only for our New Lot.

So... got financing, bought the lot lease and shopped a hundred or so RV dealerships... and a just today we drove home or new RV camper.

If the development goes on schedule, and it may not.. but around June of this year (which is when the lakes are done being frozen anyways).. we will be bringing or new trailer AND Old Black Rum (Malahini) to its new home base.

Almost twenty years of looking... a few changes in goals.. but one of my big life bucket-list dreams is coming alive.

https://rvlots.ca/paradise_shores_rv_park.html ... Lot 49 on the Plateau.

Decks, Gazebo's, Storage Sheds, Fire Pits... so plenty of ways I can still 'build' a little to make it my own.

Keep on dreaming folks... the dream may come at you early in the morning, when you are grumpy... but when it comes, you'll be ready for it.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:15 pm

Great story, Iggy. Congratulations!!!

and shopped a hundred or so RV dealerships... and a just today we drove home or new RV camper.

But, you do know that Glen-L just happens to sell RV plans, don't you?

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:42 pm

BayouBengal wrote:Great story, Iggy. Congratulations!!!

and shopped a hundred or so RV dealerships... and a just today we drove home or new RV camper.

But, you do know that Glen-L just happens to sell RV plans, don't you?

I did, but to be honest that didn't cross my mind at this time. It did in the past.. but my wife wants space... which means slides... and I am not particularly motivated to build my own camper. A friend of mine built a Tiny house out of his old camper.. and its cool... but not something my wife finds appealing. House is her domain.. same goes for camper!

I am thinking of building a bunkie / storage shed... smaller scale but can still house a few kids in some bunk beds.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:17 am

Congratulations Iggy!
That is a great way to get on the lake! We did the same search for quite a few years to find the right opportunity. Good luck with your new RV and keep us updated with more videos of your new adventure.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:33 am

Wow, that looks so relaxing!

Return to “Small outboards”