Glen-L.com

The Boatbuilder Connection
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:57 am 

I'm looking to build a Squirt. Most used small outboards are tiller controlled. Has anyone converted a tiller to remote throttle/shift?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:46 pm 
Yes, it can be done.
I just converted an 18 HP Tohatsu to remote control
Do research to see if the motor in question has parts available for remote before you buy the motor though as you CAN convert one that wasn't designed for remote,but if there are parts,it's just a bolt on deal

It's probably cheaper though, to just locate one with remote stuff, rather than buying motor and parts and controls

I already had the motor so that's why I converted instead of buying a remote set-up engine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:15 am 

Upspirate is right on with his answer. I did my 25 Johnson. On some of the older outboards, especially Merc, parts are no longer available, so you have to make your own or find them. The older mercs are harder to convert due to the throttle is located inside the housing and requires an "arm" to make it work.

Shop around and know what you are buying.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:47 am 

The older OMC engines (Evinrude/Johnson) do not need extra parts to hook up. You just connect the throttel and gear cables on the outside of the engine. I have some OMC engines from late -50s to early -70s, and they are easy to hook up.
Also have a Merc that needs a big rebuild with unavailable parts to hook up. Merc also change the direction of the throttel-cable push/pull in the -80s, so you have to find the correct controlbox for the engine you have.
Unless you can have the parts for free from a scrapped engine, go with OMC. Or buy a engine complete with cables and controlbox.

I checked the price for rebuild of the Merc I have (25hp), and with used parts from a dealer I was halfway to a used 40Hp Yamaha complete with everything. So I bought the Yamaha 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:18 am 
What year Merc 25 is it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:35 am 

It's a -85 model with tiller control. For use with a boat that uses tiller control, or sell it and buy a complete engine with controlbox and cables.
Unless you can have the parts for free it is not worth rebuilding.