Vertical Grain?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

MTempsNH

Vertical Grain?

Post by MTempsNH »

Hello,

So I have found a supplier of marine plywood in my area and was going to go take a look at some this afternoon, however, when I called he said that he had marine grade, but that he wasn't sure if he had vertical grain or not!? How important is it to have a vertical grain. I am going to be purchasing 3/4" douglas fur to be used for the transom, etc.

Thanks
-M

razopp

Re: Vertical Grain?

Post by razopp »

Welcome and congratulations on finding marine grade plywood locally. It is a challenge in many areas. I think there is a little confusion though. Vertical Grain wood is important for the lumber, but not the plywood. Plywood is rotary cut typically, and the grains can go various directions.

Did they say what species of marine grade they had? There are various opinions in the archive here of fir vs. mahogany ply (Okoume, Meranti, Sappelle, etc).

Good luck!
Robert

MTempsNH

Post by MTempsNH »

So yes I was a bit confused when talking with the gentleman before getting to the lumber store, but I was able to get a better understanding once I was there. They definitely have a wide variety and I went with the Meranti plywood. One of the workers there had actually built a glen-l boat before and had some insight. Meranti was cheaper than the Douglas-Fir and looked to be in better shape. I also bought a piece of douglas-fir lumber for use on the frames.

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw »

Great! I think you'll be happier with the Meranti than the Dfir.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Caber-Feidh

Post by Caber-Feidh »

DF is pretty scraggely these days. Works fine for places you don't have to look at though.

Mahogany is overpriced, and rare.

Okoume, Meranti are the best (but they are not mahogany). Meranti is a bit heavy for going really fast.
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

MTempsNH

Post by MTempsNH »

Yes I could definitely see a difference when looking at the DF and the Meranti. The Meranti looked to be of much better quality. I was also told that the DF, although it said marine on it, that the glue used was not of marine grade and was more for external use.

The Meranti was very heavy. I'm hoping to be able to get a hold of some mahogany for the decking and planking. The place I was at said that they had some, but that he'd have to hunt around. They had rooms filled with plywood. He kept calling the 1/4 inch as 6mm, which seems to be the exact same width, so he's keeping an eye out for me.

Tonight I'm starting to transfer patterns, and maybe make my first cut. We'll see - not sense in rushing.

bt designs

Post by bt designs »

Hello everyone,

Have you checked everyone in the NH area? There are a few vendors with marine plywood and there is one in Ma. that has marine plywood and mahogany of all sizes. Check them out, Boulter lumber in sommerville,ma.

Brian

AaronStJ

Post by AaronStJ »

MTempsNH wrote:He kept calling the 1/4 inch as 6mm, which seems to be the exact same width, so he's keeping an eye out for me.
From what I can tell, a lot of the good marine plywood is manufactured overseas. You'll see it sized in metric sizes a lot. And yes, 6mm is the equivalent of 1/4". You'll find metric equivalents for all of the common imperial sizes available.

Return to “Small outboards”