Squirt Price

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

areame

Squirt Price

Post by areame » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi I'm new to the forum and looking in to the Squirt but was wondering what kind of price this will cost; time isn't a problem and I have a 15hp Evinrude so I have that part of the price covered. I did do a few searches in the forum but prices ranged from $2,000-$5,000. This would be my first boat so I would make it simple just so i can get comfortable before I start anything more difficult. I would just have it all varnished with one color. Thanks for the help!

Anthony

rjlemay sherman ct

Re: Squirt Price

Post by rjlemay sherman ct » Sat May 01, 2010 4:01 am

Hi Anthony,
I am in the process of building a squirt. All of the mahogany I used for the frames, and will use for the top deck, was recycled decking. The most suprising cost was the epoxy, and how much you have to use. I have 4+ gallons into mine, probably around $ 5-6 hundred dollars in that. I did alot of online ordering from Overtons, West marine, Discount marine, for various parts,like electrical, stainless hardware, steering, control cables, on and on. I'll bet I've spent near 1- 2000.00 with these places. When it comes time to paint yours, go to supermarine paints, where they offer great marine top and bottom paint, at very reasonable costs. (I just finished the bottom of my squirt, and not only does it look like it was professionally sprayed, it only took a little over 1 quart to apply 5 coats)... I can't give you an exact price on my build, but all said and done, I'll bet I will get pretty close to the 5G number. If you keep yours as simple as possible, you can probably do a little better, just remember there's always something you'll probably need that you diddn't account for.
Good luck, it's a very fun project, and very rewarding.
RJ Lemay

ToneDef

Post by ToneDef » Sat May 01, 2010 6:34 am

Your best bet for saving money is to make friends with someone who works at a boat yard. My buddy hooked me up with all my epoxy and paint needs through the yard he works at, so I got it at cost; and my father ordered my steering and rigging etc. through the yacht center where he works so I got it at cost. If it weren't for them I'd be close to double into this thing than I am.

areame

Post by areame » Sat May 01, 2010 2:14 pm

Thanks for the help, my dad owns a hardware business and said he can help get me some wood at a good price so that should help. Also, one of my family friends just got done restoring an old chris craft and he said I should start with an easy stitch-and-glue kayak o get a feel for what I'll be doing. Anyways I'm going to go ahead and get the plans and start clearing out my work space. Thanks for the help!

Anthony

BulldogBoater

Post by BulldogBoater » Sat May 01, 2010 2:57 pm

$4200 in mine as near as I can estimate. That includes the donor SeaDoo. I could have done it for less but I would have not wound up with the look I have. Pretty is expensive.

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat May 01, 2010 4:46 pm

Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

areame

Post by areame » Sun May 02, 2010 9:38 am

Thanks Bill, just what I was looking for.

Anthony

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun May 02, 2010 12:33 pm

:) Thank Gayle.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Small outboards”