Power-Row Skiff 13 1/2

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Grand Chillin

Re: Power-Row Skiff 13 1/2

Post by Grand Chillin »

You are going to radius the edges, bung the screw holes and finish bright right? Thanks for sharing the pictures of your straddle pusher, now it makes sense. :roll: :D
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

The outside will be at 90 degrees to the ground with a radius on the edge,I was going to do the same on the inside,but will probably follow the shear line instead of 90 degrees, and radius the top edge.

Not sure if the whole shear/cap/rub-rail will be varnished,or just the cap.Will have to see how the shear cleans up and there are the points of too-long screws showing on the inside too.

there will be a stainless or aluminum rub-rail on the outside,so may have the wood below that just painted....we'll just have to see how it goes.

The metal will cover the glue line at the cap/rail junction anyway.

The cap will have temp screws removed when the epoxy sets enough,and bungs fill the holes

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin »

I have a whole roll of Ford's finest chrome trim if you need some. Now that would really add some bling. :wink: :lol:

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Well,we'll see :roll: :lol: :lol: 8)

But thanks for the offer!

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

WOW!!! That look's Great Warren!!! Thanks for the tip on the pusher, too.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

You're welcome.

My neighbor,a retired carpenter, showed me the one he made,but his had wider side pieces.I made mine with 1/4" on one side,and Luan (whatever thickness that is) on the other because I re-sawed so thin (3/4" cut in half - the saw kerf) less than 3/8" I ended up with.

I also saw these in a table saw book.

I'm going to put a small notch in the side ply to hold down and push a shorter piece when I do that.

It really took away some of the hesitation I had as it keeps your fingers away from the blade...more so even than a pusher stick I think

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Its really easy to slip with pusher sticks. A notched piece of plywood seems to work pretty well, which keeps the small piece down and moving foward at the same time, a key element to minimize splinters, kick backs of small resaw pieces and cut offs of the digits too. Resawing is such a great way to save making a lot of sawdust and for sure saves a lot of money when using expensive and precious hardwoods. Great progress sir. 8)

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Thank you Master!! :D

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Making tricky cuts with a table saw always scares the heck out of me. That pusher will come in handy as I have some 5/4 white oak I want to use as floor boards. I can resaw them more safely. This site is so helpful with all the ideas and expertise. :D :D :D

Roberta

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Here's what I got done today(between helping Debbie with putting more stuff away and...... :evil: :?

Screwed the stern caps together and sanded on the super stationary belt/spindle sander to make them uniform as far as the inside curve....outside will be sanded to fit each side after epoxying in place

Rounded over the bow and stern caps, and ground down the edge of the transom so the stern caps will lay flat...pic shows it before it was fully ground and stern cap laying flat
IMG_0306.JPG
IMG_0307.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG
IMG_0310.JPG
Off to bed then work at 6PM

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Love it!! Look's like fine furniture!

Roberta :D

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Thanks Roberta!!

I walked out in the garage and it brought a smile to my face.

Pirate's Wench

Post by Pirate's Wench »

Made me smile too until I was told there would be no fish blood or guts allowed on board! :shock: I'm sure he was just kidding. I doubt he's really worried about fishes gooping up the boat cause I never catch anything anyway! :lol: :(

He's doing a fine job, I must say. Impressive. I bet he would be able to build anything he set his mind to. Hmmmm :idea:, I better start putting together a little list of suggestions so he'll have something to build once the skiff is done. :wink:
~~~Never walk in the footsteps of others, or you won’t leave any of your own.~~~

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin »

Debbie,
You, I mean Warren is doing a great job!!! :roll: If you need help with your project list for him just let us know. I'm sure the rest of us can come up with a few suggestions for you. :wink: :lol: :P

Pirate's Wench

Post by Pirate's Wench »

Grand Chillin wrote:Debbie,
You, I mean Warren is doing a great job!!! :roll: If you need help with your project list for him just let us know. I'm sure the rest of us can come up with a few suggestions for you. :wink: :lol: :P
Thanks Chip! I appreciate the support! I know of at least one smart lady who ended up with kitchen cabinets after she found out how good her husband was at woodworking. I believe she said something like "well now Honey, if you can build a boat like that, I bet you could build me some lil ol' kitchen cabinets. How 'bout you do that next, then you can build another boat!". Yesseree, If a girl plays her cards right, she can work all this stuff to her advantage and end up with a really great fishing boat to boot! :D :lol:
~~~Never walk in the footsteps of others, or you won’t leave any of your own.~~~

Return to “Small outboards”