The Tool I hate!

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

Bill Edmundson

The Tool I hate!

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:27 am

We talk about the tools you need. And, we talk about the tools that are really nice to have. But, what tool is needed and nice to have. But, you hate it!

For me. It's the hand held router. When it's mounted on a bench it's not too bad. I'm also have nerves with the table saw when the parts get smaller.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gdcarpenter

Re: The Tool I hate!

Postby gdcarpenter » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:16 pm

Long Board Sander"!!!!

As for the rest a'healthy respect' is always wise, having one finger tip narrower than it's opposing mate thanks to a close encounter with a table saw blade. Knew what I was doing was wrong, and it all happens so fast - too fast to react but not fast enough to not know it's happening!
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

kens

Postby kens » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:03 pm

Small parts on a table saw doesnt bother me very much, you can setup for that and carry on.
When I read the title and author on this post, I figured it had something to do with sanding.
The tools I like the least are the ones that deal with sanding.
Bill & I have similar interests. (or disinterests)
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:27 pm

I hate SANDING. But, the tools don't make me uneasy. A friend of mine, who is a really skilled woodworker, lost half a finger to a router.

Sanders are fine. I just don't like doing it!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:57 pm

The tools I hate are the ones I don't have when I need them and I can't afford or justify the expense of buying. :D :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

kens

Postby kens » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:23 pm

mrintense wrote:The tools I hate are the ones I don't have when I need them and I can't afford or justify the expense of buying. :D :D :D

+1 on that !!!
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

kens

Postby kens » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:39 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:We talk about the tools you need. And, we talk about the tools that are really nice to have. But, what tool is needed and nice to have. But, you hate it!

For me. It's the hand held router. When it's mounted on a bench it's not too bad. I'm also have nerves with the table saw when the parts get smaller.

Bill

Maybe you need a bigger foot on the router?

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:03 pm

:D My neighbor used one to router trim for house;run up one side when holding in one hand and came down other side;vaporizing his thumb.I don't stand right behind tablesaws either after a piece of wood kicked back and went through wall behind me.A Friend from work was sawing board thru tablesaw using his hand as push stick.needless to say ,he doesn't have fingerprints anymore.(he still has fingers,just no prints.)I used to have a hammer that was ground wrong on head(couldn't drive a nail straight to save your neck.I didn't have a chance to grind it right since my fathers friend was using it one day and flung it as hard as he could out in the lake.)
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Barra

Postby Barra » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:15 pm

I had a run in with my belt sander. Was sanding the edge of some ply clamped to the bench. When I finish I must have touched the belt with the left index finger which was promptly sucked into the sander. Luckily the sander was winding down but still crushed my finger (shattering the bone at the end) and pulled my nail out. Not very nice at all, but could have been a lot worse....

Was never concerned with belt sanders before but now I have a healthy respect for it and have been more aware of what my other tools can do if you don't pay attention.

Otherwise my 9"grinder scares the *&%^out of me! :shock: Not that it got used on the boat of course.

mike961

Postby mike961 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:44 am

for me it's the random orbital sander , thumb got too close to the spinner and the knob got my thumb nail. it stung for a few days and learned to keep fingers and thumbs away from the spinning pad.

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:54 am

I didn't have/use a router or long board sander, so I have no opinion on those.

I rather like sanding because I feel that this is a part of the 'art' of the build.

My least favorite tool was the two-handed plane. I liked using it, but every time I'd hit a screw, I had to take it apart and sharpen it again--very time consuming and troublesome. I really love those curls of wood all over the place though! They made me feel like a period craftsman! :D
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:07 pm

:? I hate jointers I lost up to my first joint on my right hand to one after having a kick back. All these years latter I do not own one. With any tool safety first and don't take short cuts. And primary rule never get over confident with the power tools they will bite you end the end.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed May 31, 2017 7:03 am

Love my table saw. It is a Sawstop. I hate all Festools, because they are so expensive. Maybe I am just jealous.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:57 am

Still love my Sawstop, but yesterday learned that a drop of sweat on material will cause the brake to engage just as well as a finger. Expensive lesson, but on a positive note, I know the safety brake works.

Return to “Tool Talk”