Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

Bill Edmundson

Caulk Guns

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:39 am

Sure wish I had had one of these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Vo ... /205648767

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimbob

Re: Caulk Guns

Postby Jimbob » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:40 am

Bill, your timing couldn't be better.
I am getting ready to caulk my decks. I'm always looking for an excuse to get a new tool! Looks like it comes without a battery.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:06 pm

Jim

You can get it with battery, charger, and case. But, I have several One+ tools. So, I have batteries and chargers.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:26 pm

Bill, After watching some videos, I think I will get one. The feature that appeals to me the most is when you take your finger off the trigger, the caulk stops coming out. Also you can control the flow with a dial. Also they say less waste of the caulk.
Jim
Jim Neeley

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:33 pm

Jim

I've done deck seems on 2 boats now. The bottom of the Bartender is laminated 3/8" + 1/4" ply. I have used some of the big caulk tubes. God, my hands have hurt.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:40 pm

Thanks for the tip Bill!
I bought one of the caulk guns at lunch. A Battery, charger, and the gun was $105 total after my military discount.
If my wife complains, I am going to say "it's all Bill's fault" :lol:
By the way if anyone was in the military, both Home Depot and Lowes give a 10% military discount on anything they sell.
Jim
Jim Neeley

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:19 pm

Like Oliver North... I accept all blame!

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

TAB

Postby TAB » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Those things do not work, you can get an air powered import for less then the cost of that plus a battery.

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:54 am

Caulk Gun Followup:
The gun worked great!!
Here are some of the things that I really liked about the gun:
I caulked the entire boat and it laid down a nice consistent bead of caulk. When you release the trigger it pulls back on the caulk so it stops coming out of the tube immediately. It was easy to use. Caulk is messy enough, it was nice to not worry about an air hose dragging over the fresh caulk. (I don't have overhead air lines) I held the gun with two hands, I couldn't have done that if I was managing an air hose at the same time. It has an adjustment for the rate of feed. It has a plunger rod like a manual gun so you can see how much caulk is left in the tube at all times. The battery never ran low.
I would highly recommend the Ryobi gun.
Jim
Jim Neeley

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:12 am

I often work in a storage lot with no power. It would be a major pain to have to take a compressor, hose, and generator each time.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:08 am

I think the better battery powered ones are the way to go. They are heavier and bulkier than the air powered ones. I purchased an air powered one and it works well most of the time. I use a light weight hose so that isn't a real problem, but you do need an air compressor nearby. I would prefer the plunger like the one in the battery powered ones. My air powered one pushes the "cap" in the tube, with air, to force the product out. I have had that cap stick and tip causing the product to ooze out create a mess and wasting a cartridge full of product. In any case, make sure the product is fresh. Older products can get thicker and will be harder to push out. The good battery powered ones are pricey while the air powered ones are less expensive. Either one is a blessing and hand saver.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

TAB

Postby TAB » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:49 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:I often work in a storage lot with no power. It would be a major pain to have to take a compressor, hose, and generator each time.

Bill

They use very little air. You could probably get away with like a 10 or 15 gallon tank full of air. Then again you really don't want to transport a pressurized tank. I have to admit, I am rather spoiled with having a underhood generator and a compressor in the bed of my truck.

I'm also wondering do they sell the caulking in sausages? If so a sausage gun is a whole lot easier to dispense large quantities than a standard gun. You can buy a decent sausage gun for about $40 a concrete supplier.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:59 am

TAB

I've only been around the sausage type guns when I worked. I don't know if the type material that we work with is available in sausage packs.

I guess the whole thing hinges on your working site and conditions. Like most things, there is no one right answer.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

TAB

Postby TAB » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:13 pm

A quick Google search shows most of the chalking nd bedding compounds (as well as the 3 m silicone adhesives) do come in sausages.

Return to “Tool Talk”