Flexible Orbit Sander

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

Yeahyeah

Flexible Orbit Sander

Postby Yeahyeah » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:36 am

I have yet to build a boat and I've been researching what all is involved before I undertake such an endeavor. In doing so, it appears that one of the most demanding aspects is the fairing process, both in time and quality of craftsmanship. That said, I came across a tool that would appear to help address this rather well. I'm curious as to whether any of you have used it or if not, if you think it's a tool that would be useful (cost notwithstanding). The power sander is called Flexisander, but they also have some interesting hand tools as well.

Here's the company's website http://www.flexisander.com/en/products?currency=usd .

hoodman

Re: Flexible Orbit Sander

Postby hoodman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:08 am

Just based on cost, I doubt any of us has used one of those. For fairing the framework most of us use a combination of hand planes, power planes, and belt sanders. However, the machine you show could be useful for fairing after the hull is planked. If you have enough air to run it an air sander could be really useful. Most of us don't have compressors big enough and have to resort to electric or hand sanding.

Yeahyeah

Postby Yeahyeah » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks, Matt. They do make both a pneumatic and an electric version. Cost is the same.

Anyone else?

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Fairing is nothing to be afraid of, just make the planking lay flat on the framing, and it doesn’t require specialty tools. I use a $29 belt sander with 36 grit paper for my serious lumber hogging during the fairing process.
What boat are you thinking about building?
Matt B

Yeahyeah

Postby Yeahyeah » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:04 pm

The La Paz, stretching it to 24'.

TomB

Postby TomB » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:29 pm

That’s a first class sander and a very nice boat design. I really like the modern bottom plan.

Since the La Paz used wide longitudinals, I would fair the frames first so the battens can be mounted with very little faring. A low angle plan or belt sander would do the trick to take the outside edge of each frame out of square and allow the battens to naturally follow the form of the boat. Save the board sander until the skin is on and you are ready to perfect the surfaces.

Tom

Return to “Tool Talk”