Ridgid 14" bandsaw

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

TomB

Ridgid 14" bandsaw

Postby TomB » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:24 pm

I bought a brand new Ridgid 14" bandsaw in 2003 from big orange. It wasn't too expensive (big tool promotion) looked about right for the boat I planned to build someday.

I used it to build some furniture and odds and end of stuff, went through a few blades, all was well.

Now I am finally in the boat build...

During the cutting of white oak frames, the starter capacitor went out. Found a capacitor online.

Needed a new blade, used it anyway, bound the saw and bent the blade and the clearance insert. HD no longer supports the saw, but I found inserts elsewhere.

New blade, new insert, built some white oak racks and shaped planking plywood, all was well again.

Began to resaw mahogany into for the veneer layer for the hull. There was a lot of squealing and smoke and not much progress. I installed a new blade, this time a 3/4" carbide and reset everything. The first few cuts worked ok, then the lower guide block housing broke. So I decided to use the saw anyway to shape the 5/32" mahogany for planking. I cranked the tension handle to optimize the saw using only three guide blocks and broke the handle.

Bought a new tension handle and shaft, bought a set of Carter guide bearing (those are nice!), reset everything...better than new!

Back in business, I resawed a 20"x1"x14' mahogany board into 5/32" board for planking.

Today I started a similar sized board, and promptly broke the upper wheel shaft hinge sending the upper wheel bouncing around the shop. Nobody sells the part!!!! But Grizzly sells something that looks just like it. The bandsaw will be down for another week and I may be in the market for something more robust.

I am learning a lot about bandsaws.

Tom

billy c

Re: Ridgid 14" bandsaw

Postby billy c » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Unfortunately That is pretty much on par for this level of saw. Resawing takes even tension and blade speed along with the table being able to handle the weight of the lumber without blade guides flexing. Sounds like you had all of this going on to some degree. Not sure about your areas Craigslist but around here I see good saws for little money.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:05 pm

I have a Laguna 14 SUV that I love. I use a 3/8" blade for curved cuts and a 1inch Resaw King blade for cutting planks. It is 220 vac and 3 hp and appears invincible as well as easy to set up.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

TomB

Postby TomB » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:44 pm

Yup, I'm afraid so, this isn't the saw for what I'm asking it to do. I looked it over before I bought it and saw a lot of painted cast iron that turned out to be pot metal. I've been using 1/2" wood slicer blades from Highland Hardware and really like them. 3/4" is listed as the widest blade, so I switched to carbide for the resaw job, but the pot metal wasn't up to the tension. I have several boards from the same mahogany log, dark color, dense, and "gnarly", gorgeous. I think I have enough to do the hull.

I've been dreaming of that big Laguna or the similarly sized Rikon...If Roberta recommends it, I which one is "just the ticket". (I'll have to watch for a sale at Rockler :D :D )

Tom

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:00 pm

All the resawing we did as opposed to paying to have it done made up for the extra money to buy the Laguna. Well worth the money.

Roberta :D

billy c

Postby billy c » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Rikon is well up to the task also.
262.jpg
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Yup!

Roberta :D

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:25 pm

I have a Grizzly 14" 1 hp bandsaw with a riser kit to resaw up to 12" wide. I'm using a 1/2" carbide tipped 3 TPI Lenox TriMaster blade. It resawed 6/4 x 10" x 11' african mahogany boards like butter! Patience, proper feed rate and good support and the work came out great!
Last edited by PeterG on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

TomB

Postby TomB » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Based on part pictures the Giz and Ridgid are maybe the same saw. I can run 4" thick reasonably well, less that that it's great, over that not enough HP and pot metal starts breaking. For what it's worth, the lumber I'm slicing is about heavy/dense compared to some of the other boards. The dense stuff is darker, and planes great.

I took a look at Craigslist...a parts saw is an option, so is selling this one and spending $$$$$$. Thanks Roberta and Billy for your recommendations, HOW did you sneak the saw into your work space without somebody asking questions?

Tom

Two8nine

Postby Two8nine » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:31 pm

I suspect I just bought the same saw. (Ridgid BS1400/BS14000?)

Feel like a I got a great deal, new with the plastic still on for $50. (Moving sale ftw)

Sounds like I should avoid re sawing.

Have to saw I'm really happy with it's performance otherwise. How's yours for vibration? Seems to be the biggest gripe about the model in reviews, but mine is fine other than a brief shudder during startup. Just wish I had it for cutting out all the frames, did most of them on a 9 inch Mastercraft POS that cuts about as strait as a puzzle piece -- and the rest on an old King which was almost as bad.

TomB

Postby TomB » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Yup. Same saw. You got a great deal. Mine rattles too, it is mostly the belt guard bouncing against the lower housing. Jet 14 and Grizzly use the same parts. I put on a set of double roller guides, acme-screw-thread tensioner, and the best blades I could find, which helped a lot. I would probably resaw 2" or narrower deck boards for your Squirt.

Tom

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:58 pm

If you are thinking about a new saw....
This is the jet bandsaw that I have used for years. Works on 110 volts. Will go up to 12" in height. It resaws with ease.
When I resaw, I use a 1/2" 3tpi timberwolf blade. I also wipe the blade down with pam cooking spray before I resaw. (a tip from timberwolf blades) I added a Kreg fence and added height to the fence.

Here's a link to woodcraft where I got mine.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/jet- ... 3ae3000bf8

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

kens

Postby kens » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:55 pm

I got a cheap chinese import bandsaw, it is all cast iron nonetheless, with roller guides.
I have cut thick, dense wood,
cut thick deep curves,
I have cut plate aluminum,
I found that re-sawing is THE most difficult task of all.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

TomB

Postby TomB » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:38 pm

I found that re-sawing is THE most difficult task of all.

Yup.

Grizzly 1 hp, Jet 1 1/4 hp...Ridgid 3/4 hp :roll: :roll: :roll:

Tom

TomB

Postby TomB » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:15 pm

The Grizzly upper axle/hinge came in today and is almost identical (different part #).
IMG_0146.jpg
It fits and is installed
IMG_0147.jpg
and it runs
IMG_0148.jpg
…back in business

I have lost confidence in this machine for resawing now that I've done some research. 3/4 HP and aluminum wheels might not be up to the task. Now I want something BIGGER!!!!!!!

Tom

Return to “Tool Talk”