Woodworking bench

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

Vero

Woodworking bench

Post by Vero » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:37 am

I have spent the last two days tearing out old shelving and workbench and getting ready to build (or maybe buy) a good woodworking workbench https://mechanicguides.com/best-woodworking-bench/. I am wondering if anyone would like to share their opinion on design and features of a good workbench. Photos would be nice too :D .
Best Regards,
Aaron.
Last edited by Vero on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roberta

Re: Woodworking bench

Post by Roberta » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:09 am

Welcome aboard!! Let us know what you are planning to build and post pics often.

I built my workbench using six 4x4 posts for legs and 2x6s for the top framing. I put a 3/4" plywood top over that and lightly screwed 3/4" MFD on top of that as a smooth, sacrificial work surface. The frame was made from two 90" 2x6s and four 40" 2x6s. I use carriage bolts to bolt it together and put 1/2" hex head lag screws in the bottom of the legs to adjust and level the table. The 4x8 plywood sheets overhang to allow clamping to the top.

You can make this smaller, but the bigger the better. Very sturdy and can be dismantled.

Roberta :D
Attachments
motor stringers 002.JPG
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:07 am

This is an excellent example of a work bench for a boat project. If you have less than 48" width for the plywood top, try to keep one side and one end factory edges as these are usually pretty straight and square to each other. That becomes important later because you can use them for laying out reference lines for building your frames and other parts of your boat. I drew my frames full size on my bench top and used those lines for making the frame pieces and then for aligning the pieces to assemble the frames.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:35 am

I have to correct the size of the frame. I used 2x8s. Sorry!

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi Aaron,
Here's a link to a previous posting of the worktable I made. It's pretty simple and breaks down for storage.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33315#p201575
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:25 am

For most boats I would make it at least 4'x8'. I made mine 5'x8' for the Bartender. I used 1/2" ext. for the top. I clamped it to an 8' folding church table that I have. I did all my frames on it. You definitely want an overhang all around for clamping. When the hull was turned I started cutting up the bench top for interior framing/seat bases/sole boards/bunk tops/bulkheads/drawers...

I like Roberta idea of a thin sacrifice layer on the top.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

sproggy

Post by sproggy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:06 am

I think the most critical requirement is that the largest frame of the boat you are building will fit on the table comfortably. No need to think about the next boat because, as Bill said, by then you'll probably have cut it up and will need to build a new table. Mine ended up being 4' x 7' because that's what I had space for but the Zip has a 6' beam so it was plenty big enough. And mine was just a sheet of 3/4" ply with 3" x 2" stiffeners screwed along the long edges and it sat on an old door which itself sat on trestles so it could easily be moved or stored against the wall from time to time. Very much a temporary work table rather than a more permanent bench like the other guys are talking about but it did the job. It later became hoops to help me roll the boat over mid-build. No layer of sacrificial MDF - my whole table was sacrificial!

A lot depends upon how much space you have, whether the table needs to be easily (and regularly) dismantled and how big (beam x hull depth) the boat is.