Long Board Sander?

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

billy c

Re: Long Board Sander?

Post by billy c » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:12 am

Oyster wrote:Actually long boarding a surface for another layer with a board thats operated by air versus hand makes shorter work. The reason I replied with my alternative is that I also find that on a surface being prepared for topcoats, the wider width of the board does a finer job of fairing. Most of the airfiles recieves and uses a paper thats only 2 to three inch wide and the tool can dig or cut in the surface because its easier to rock or roll it as you push it especially on a diagonal or bias. The affects do not show as much under another layer such as a hardwood veneer unless the veneer is really thin. If this is the case, sometimes you may get a small void if your glue is not thickened enough.
EXACTLY true...
no way on the final pass would you be running power. in fact if finished bright, you would be following grain direction of the mahogany with a variety of hand blocking all the way down to 220 to remove the finest visible cross grain scratches then back out to 120 or what ever is recommended for your paint surface.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:51 am

Wow - lot's of ideas. Ok, I have been using a combo of belt sander and mudhog for the laminations and getting very close. I know that the final finish layer will take my time, so I have opted to be satisfied if with these only between the layers and then "slopping" the thickened epoxy so that my plywood is 'floating'. I do not want any voids if I can help it.

I believe I am going to go the hand route for the final. I only have 125 hrs to date and applying my last plywood layer now. Sorry guys - I just work fast.

But I want to that deep fine finish when done so I will be spending a lot of slow time to make it right. I don't have that feel with equipment under hand. It is amazing how the hands that God gave us can feel even the slightest of deviations.

Dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

JamieSceusa

Post by JamieSceusa » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:54 pm

nice one it's good idea for longboard for me thanks